Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

RichmondVAReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

Chucky_38
All American
All American

Good read. Really want him to get us to Omaha.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Really didnt like his answer about bunting, and he basically says Power hitting the home run in game 2 was an accident. Albert Einstein once said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”.

DJ: In Game 2 of the super regional you get a leadoff double from Jordan Henry, then Logan Power swings, and it’s a home run. In Game 3 in an identical situation Power bunts. Why was that call different?

MB: To be honest with you, I wanted to score first. I thought it was important to score first. I’ve always bunted with a runner at second. The better question might be why didn’t you bunt in Game 2, rather than why did you bunt in Game 3.
In Game 2, actually we asked Logan to hit the ball the other way and move him over, that was the signal. Logan is a solid bunter, not our best bunter, so I let him swing in that situation.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

MageeRebel425 wrote:Really didnt like his answer about bunting, and he basically says Power hitting the home run in game 2 was an accident. Albert Einstein once said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”.

DJ: In Game 2 of the super regional you get a leadoff double from Jordan Henry, then Logan Power swings, and it’s a home run. In Game 3 in an identical situation Power bunts. Why was that call different?

MB: To be honest with you, I wanted to score first. I thought it was important to score first. I’ve always bunted with a runner at second. The better question might be why didn’t you bunt in Game 2, rather than why did you bunt in Game 3.
In Game 2, actually we asked Logan to hit the ball the other way and move him over, that was the signal. Logan is a solid bunter, not our best bunter, so I let him swing in that situation.
then don't hit Power after Henry...put a dang bunter in that spot..and let power swing
RichmondVAReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

Well, based on what I'm hearing, Reinstettle (sp?????) is rumored on his way to Auburn. Is this Bianco's way of acknowledging a hitting problem, and if so, will it work? Who would replace Reinstettle?
Heath
All American
All American

RichmondVAReb wrote:Well, based on what I'm hearing, Reinstettle (sp?????) is rumored on his way to Auburn. Is this Bianco's way of acknowledging a hitting problem, and if so, will it work? Who would replace Reinstettle?
Hopefully someone that can teach them to hit breaking pitches and stop swinging at the first pitch!!!!!!
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

RichmondVAReb wrote:Well, based on what I'm hearing, Reinstettle (sp?????) is rumored on his way to Auburn. Is this Bianco's way of acknowledging a hitting problem, and if so, will it work? Who would replace Reinstettle?
I don't completely know, and, I would think that a good sourch for issues such as this would be the thoughts of Oxford Reb. I know we had this issue, I know that we have this issue, and Reinstettle was brought in to "fix" things.

Personally, I think he has done a fine job. I elect to right now staying wholly in the Bianco corner, and currently wonder if he has caught a bad deal, Karma-speaking, in his former opponets in Super Regional contests.

I mean, UVA eliminated Cal St-Fullerton today, and looked d*** fine doing so. The year that UT (the real one) came to town, they won it all and took it home to Austin. I could be very much mistaken, but I believe Miami did the same after leaving Oxford.

That said, I dunno, but what we just drew a better team than what the rest of the country had to offer...

That said I sure hope the Rienstettle stays right where he is.

We have noone better waiting in the wings that I know of.
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
tlsu
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Interesting read.
GtownRebel
All American
All American

OMNOB wrote:
I don't completely know, and, I would think that a good source for issues such as this would be the thoughts of Oxford Reb. I know we had this issue, I know that we have this issue, and Reinstettle was brought in to "fix" things.

Personally, I think he has done a fine job. I elect to right now staying wholly in the Bianco corner, and currently wonder if he has caught a bad deal, Karma-speaking, in his former opponets in Super Regional contests.

I mean, UVA eliminated Cal St-Fullerton today, and looked d*** fine doing so. The year that UT (the real one) came to town, they won it all and took it home to Austin. I could be very much mistaken, but I believe Miami did the same after leaving Oxford.

That said, I dunno, but what we just drew a better team than what the rest of the country had to offer...

Texas won it all, but Miami did not.

As far as Rienstettle is concerned and having read about Omaha today on another board from someone that attended the start of the CWS, we need hitters. We have the pitchers, but we need hitters. Now if you believe we have good players that are capable of hitting as they did in HS, then the only thing separating us and better things is a hitting coach. Reinstettle was brought in with the acclaim of having teams in the top 5 of hitting 4 out of the past 5 years prior to coming to Ole Miss. I think we were in the middle of the pack in the SEC in hitting this year, never have learned to put down a soft bunt or a bunt not directed to some fielder since he arrived. I do think the players that listen to Rob have hit better, but it is taking a year under him before this occurs. Just stating facts.

As far as Mossberg goes, he was a good ball player that was fast. Fielding was not his strong point, just speed. You can't teach speed. His decision making on first base got to where the players stopped listening or watching him in the latter part of the season because he made some mistakes and got them out while acting as if he didn't tell them to steal or take a larger lead or proceed to second and get thrown out. I like Matt personally, but he hasn't taught our players fielding (errors are up), where the cut-off man is, or how to improve their fielding.

And since I have hit the other two assistant, might as well talk about Karl Lafferty I don't know much about what he does other than go to the bull pen and let the coach know if the pitcher is warmed up. Obviously, he doesn't let the coach know if the pitcher has his stuff, if the ball is moving, which pitch is working, is he hitting his spots...he just sits on the bench and waits until the pitcher lets him know if he is lose. I am not sure he knows how to correct a pitcher who is throwing a ball that has no movement, how to instruct a player to throw a slider, a fork ball, a fastball that rises, a curve, etc. since he was a catcher. But knowing what 5 different MLB scouts said about Lynn's and Satterwhite's experience at Ole Miss and that they really didn't improve from HS through college says something to me about our pitching coach - we don't have one.

Now Bianco - I don't want Mike to leave. He is a very good coach, but he is a micro-manager to the extreme. Maybe he had to be at a smaller school, but this is the SEC - his dream job. He needs folks around him that can coach and not just take up room. He is a very, very good recruiter. Based on his recruitment we will be in the regionals every year. But we won't advance past the super regional without his assistant coaches coaching. And I am sure his assistant coaches are frustrated because Bianco is micro-managing and won't allow them to coach to their full ability. Or maybe they are coaching to their full ability and aren't good assistant coaches, but we won't know until Mike decides to use his coaching staff as a team that he is the executive leader, not the doer.

These are my thoughts of watching Bianco ball for 9 years and Harrison ball for one. Believe me, we never, ever want to go back to Harrison ball ever again! That was worse than HS ball at its lowest level. I think Mike needs to wise up and get some guys in that can help him. Otherwise, after next year in my case, I might focus on golf more and only go to games that I want to see as I have many friends that have season tickets I can get during the season. By the way I have 5 season tickets in the grandstands. What we have done in the Super Regional on the 3rd day is take ourselves away from what got us there which means Mike became more conservative and did not allow the kids to win the game. I am not being negative, just factual. And it pains me to watch good players and people go through almost making it to the next level year after year. Eventually players will not come to Ole Miss because we can't make it to the CWS year after year. They want to get to the big stage and show what they have. This is something that this coaching staff has to correct.

Now blast away and pick it apart. I can substantiate the facts above with example after example just from this past season. And yes, I live in Oxford and go to every game and I get emotional about this because it is a wasted opportunity from my viewpoint to be the best you can be.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

Good post GTown.
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Heath wrote:
Hopefully someone that can teach them to hit breaking pitches and stop swinging at the first pitch!!!!!!
No doubt, don't have a problem with small ball philosophy or team. But if you construct your team around that philosophy (or that is the way your team ends up for whatever reason), then you have to preach, teach, instruct, bore into their heads, that you have to be patient at the plate.
Randy
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

GtownRebel wrote:
OMNOB wrote:
I don't completely know, and, I would think that a good source for issues such as this would be the thoughts of Oxford Reb. I know we had this issue, I know that we have this issue, and Reinstettle was brought in to "fix" things.

Texas won it all, but Miami did not.

As far as Rienstettle is concerned and having read about Omaha today on another board from someone that attended the start of the CWS, we need hitters. We have the pitchers, but we need hitters. Now if you believe we have good players that are capable of hitting as they did in HS, then the only thing separating us and better things is a hitting coach. Reinstettle was brought in with the acclaim of having teams in the top 5 of hitting 4 out of the past 5 years prior to coming to Ole Miss. I think we were in the middle of the pack in the SEC in hitting this year, never have learned to put down a soft bunt or a bunt not directed to some fielder since he arrived. I do think the players that listen to Rob have hit better, but it is taking a year under him before this occurs. Just stating facts.

As far as Mossberg goes, he was a good ball player that was fast. Fielding was not his strong point, just speed. You can't teach speed. His decision making on first base got to where the players stopped listening or watching him in the latter part of the season because he made some mistakes and got them out while acting as if he didn't tell them to steal or take a larger lead or proceed to second and get thrown out. I like Matt personally, but he hasn't taught our players fielding (errors are up), where the cut-off man is, or how to improve their fielding.

And since I have hit the other two assistant, might as well talk about Karl Lafferty I don't know much about what he does other than go to the bull pen and let the coach know if the pitcher is warmed up. Obviously, he doesn't let the coach know if the pitcher has his stuff, if the ball is moving, which pitch is working, is he hitting his spots...he just sits on the bench and waits until the pitcher lets him know if he is lose. I am not sure he knows how to correct a pitcher who is throwing a ball that has no movement, how to instruct a player to throw a slider, a fork ball, a fastball that rises, a curve, etc. since he was a catcher. But knowing what 5 different MLB scouts said about Lynn's and Satterwhite's experience at Ole Miss and that they really didn't improve from HS through college says something to me about our pitching coach - we don't have one.

Now Bianco - I don't want Mike to leave. He is a very good coach, but he is a micro-manager to the extreme. Maybe he had to be at a smaller school, but this is the SEC - his dream job. He needs folks around him that can coach and not just take up room. He is a very, very good recruiter. Based on his recruitment we will be in the regionals every year. But we won't advance past the super regional without his assistant coaches coaching. And I am sure his assistant coaches are frustrated because Bianco is micro-managing and won't allow them to coach to their full ability. Or maybe they are coaching to their full ability and aren't good assistant coaches, but we won't know until Mike decides to use his coaching staff as a team that he is the executive leader, not the doer.

These are my thoughts of watching Bianco ball for 9 years and Harrison ball for one. Believe me, we never, ever want to go back to Harrison ball ever again! That was worse than HS ball at its lowest level. I think Mike needs to wise up and get some guys in that can help him. Otherwise, after next year in my case, I might focus on golf more and only go to games that I want to see as I have many friends that have season tickets I can get during the season. By the way I have 5 season tickets in the grandstands. What we have done in the Super Regional on the 3rd day is take ourselves away from what got us there which means Mike became more conservative and did not allow the kids to win the game. I am not being negative, just factual. And it pains me to watch good players and people go through almost making it to the next level year after year. Eventually players will not come to Ole Miss because we can't make it to the CWS year after year. They want to get to the big stage and show what they have. This is something that this coaching staff has to correct.

Now blast away and pick it apart. I can substantiate the facts above with example after example just from this past season. And yes, I live in Oxford and go to every game and I get emotional about this because it is a wasted opportunity from my viewpoint to be the best you can be.
Fantastic point(s), fine post G-Town!!
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
tlsu
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

I think it's obvious that Ole Miss is not going to grab someone better than they have now. A guy that's making Super Regionals every year..... can't really ask for much more than that. At some point, everything will be in place for Bianco to get the team over the hump, and you have to like the odds of that happening soon if he can keep maneuvering them into position.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

tlsu wrote:I think it's obvious that Ole Miss is not going to grab someone better than they have now. A guy that's making Super Regionals every year..... can't really ask for much more than that. At some point, everything will be in place for Bianco to get the team over the hump, and you have to like the odds of that happening soon if he can keep maneuvering them into position.
I don't know...reverse it. If Bianco was at LSU you would not hesitate to fire him and get someone who could take you to Omaha. Heck, Smoke went to Omaha two of his five years and you canned him. You went out and got someone better...not sure why you think we couldn't. We pay plenty so thats not an issue.

Should we fire him? I don't know. I know one thing. We should get to Omaha really quick. Its past time.
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

Sure wish that Oxford Reb would chime in on this...

Where ya at buddy?