Quarterback Sitiuation

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

BovinaREB
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

I believe stoudt will start. I believe Nutt promised him alot considering Stoudt was headed to Kansas to be their savior. I would be suprised to not see him start. I wouldnt trust Mackey.
BovinaREB
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

I believe stoudt will start. I believe Nutt promised him alot considering Stoudt was headed to Kansas to be their savior. I would be suprised to not see him start. I wouldnt trust Mackey.
done

So you're saying he's here on the Brent Schaeffer plan 8O
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Our spring QB situation will be this: WIDE OPEN COMPETITION. Mark it.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

ThunderReb wrote:Our spring QB situation will be this: WIDE OPEN COMPETITION. Mark it.
I hope so and I hope that they have the QBs go live more to see how they do under real pressure.
realrebel
Water Boy
Water Boy

Not strong on Mackey. If he's that good, why did he go the JUCO route? Plus, Mackey's a little short for an SEC caliber QB. Stanley could show out in the Spring since he should know the system better than the rest. Otherwise, I would probably lean toward Stoudt. I know he was a JUCO also, but he has the size and was recruited by other notable schools as well...
guidree
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Mackey went JUCO because of grades. I also believe that part of his grade issues was a result of having to transfer from a South Louisiana high school to Bastrop which is in the northern part of the state after Katrina.
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

guidree wrote:Mackey went JUCO because of grades. I also believe that part of his grade issues was a result of having to transfer from a South Louisiana high school to Bastrop which is in the northern part of the state after Katrina.
THIS^^^^^
LCW
Scout Team
Scout Team

I really do feel for Stanley....he's been very patient, and really does have good talent, but the O line for him in 2010 would have made him the fatted calf/sacrifice.

I hope he doesn't transfer, but with this huge influx of QB talent (unproven so far), I wouldn't blame him for moving on. He's a Jr. this year, right?

Looking forward to 2011 and some coaching changes. Change can't hurt....we can (hopefully) only go up.
"Drink more, feel better." - Jimmy Buffett
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

A lot will be said and reported about the QB situation. There are a lot of people that are sensitive to Stanley, not everybody, but some people talk like he is owed the job. I get it, just dont agree with it... The best guy needs to play.. If it is Stoudt then Mackey (and/or) Brunetti would likely be used in the Wildcat.. Expect wildcat plays to increase.
realrebel
Water Boy
Water Boy

They've all been granted / offered scholarships. They're owed and education and an opportunity. They'll get the education via the classroom and the opportunity via Spring / Fall practices, whichever applies to their status. I agree, let the best man for the team trot out on the field on game day!
rebangel
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I totally agree with the thinking that all the QBs should be given a playbook and then let them earn the starting job. I just do not understand the thinking that "he is owed the job"!
LCW
Scout Team
Scout Team

rebangel wrote:I totally agree with the thinking that all the QBs should be given a playbook and then let them earn the starting job. I just do not understand the thinking that "he is owed the job"!
I agree...and think that with the troubles our OL had last year, it would have been a mistake to put in a pure pocket passer. Hopefully, this year the OL will improve, giving all QBs (new and old) a chance to show what they can do, with less pressure from a D line.

No, he's not "owed" the job. But I admire his tenacity in staying.
"Drink more, feel better." - Jimmy Buffett
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

I want everybody to remember the 2010 defense was kicking the every living crap out of the offense in Spring and Two-a-day practice . There were reports that the O-line could not block the D-line. Now look at the results of the defense in the 2010 season and the pressure we got on opposing Qb's this year (Lockett's loss was huge, but he wasn't the missing piece)! If our O-line was unable to block our D-line this past two-a-days then it was absolutely necessary to not to have a pro-style pocket passer in 2010. Doesn't matter if Eli Manning was here we would have been terrible, but understanding the success we had on offense this season it is amazing how it happened.

Were the reports in the Spring and Summer about our defense false or was it bc Stanley held the ball too long and our o-line was pourous? Or was it just rose colored glasses and the expectation/perception that we should be great on the defensive ball?

I give Masoli and Nutt tons of props for the offense this past year bc I feel they did close to the best they could have. I give Nutt and Nix full responsibilty for the defense, but I think they knew 2010 was missing several pieces on the Defensive backfield and thought the D-line would support them with pressure on the QB, but that didn't happen.

I am still cautious about the 2011 defense, but am optimistic about the O-line and running game this season. QB? I think QB's should be subject to full speed rushes up all of spring and in scrimmages up until the season starts. May the guy who isn't scared to be back there win the job thats all I care about.
kjreb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

amen brother
heard state's changing field to turf next year. cheerleaders kept eating the grass