If we lose to BYU

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

BigTimeCoug wrote:Hi there Rebs,
Just wanted to give you some perspective on BYU. Would love to hear some perspective on Ol' Miss from you as well.

BYU will be at LEAST a two touchdown favorite to beat ya'll in Mississippi. We are a program with tradition and honor unlike any you've likely played before. We fancy ourselves the "Notre Dame of the West" and our success is clearly visible in our program's history - one which has shaped the face of college football more than any other college I can think of.

We won our first national title in 1984 and our second is likely to happen this year in 2011. Our only real test will come at Texas the week after beating Ol' Miss. I'm confident we'll lead the team to victory that day and the rest of the season sets up for the national title run. There's been a lot of talk about going undefeated this year and I believe that it will happen.
Considering that every year we play LSU (former #1) Bama (former #1), Aubie ( #1) and every couple of yrs FL (former #1), dont expect us to be in awe because of YOUR expectations. BTW we also have put a beat down on the mighty Irish. Not saying byu wont or shouldnt be the favorite in this game, but I assure that the Rebels will not be shaking in their cleats. We have our own traditions, sweetie, one of which being "NEVER QUIT".
jeff967
Scout Team
Scout Team

bleuwolfe, well said
one of Flop's sons
rebeldevotee
Scout Team
Scout Team

bleuwolfe wrote:SWEETIE
Ahhh the typical southern belle way to put someone in their place and still sound nice doing it...very nicely done :wink:
jeffssportsblog.wordpress.com
sternotwo
Water Boy
Water Boy

Big Time Coug is a Utah fan. For whatever reason some fans of Utah will go to BYU's opponents boards and imitate cougar fans. They intentionally exaggerate the stereotypes about BYU fans. I find it to be rather funny.
darkcoug
Water Boy
Water Boy

Hi there Rebs,
Just wanted to give you some perspective on BYU. Would love to hear some perspective on Ol' Miss from you as well.

BYU will be at LEAST a two touchdown favorite to beat ya'll in Mississippi. We are a program with tradition and honor unlike any you've likely played before. We fancy ourselves the "Notre Dame of the West" and our success is clearly visible in our program's history - one which has shaped the face of college football more than any other college I can think of.

We won our first national title in 1984 and our second is likely to happen this year in 2011. Our only real test will come at Texas the week after beating Ol' Miss. I'm confident we'll lead the team to victory that day and the rest of the season sets up for the national title run. There's been a lot of talk about going undefeated this year and I believe that it will happen.
Reb fans, please ignore the above Ute poster. This guy visits all our opponents boards and tries to stir the pot pretending to be an arrogant BYU fan. As you can see, he's not even very good at masking it. Its sad with the success Utah has had in recent years that a good portion of Utah's fanbase is still made up of BYU haters rather than actual fans of Utah.

Looking forward to a good game and the atmosphere at Oxford. Go Cougs!
Last edited by darkcoug on Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeVon
Water Boy
Water Boy

Can somebody please remove BigTimeCougs post? As a BYU fan I don't want to be associated with this kind of myopia! We have tradition alright, but compared to the tradition of the SEC, Big 12/10 and Notre Dame we are still just the best of the mid-majors. We definitely have more tradition than Boise State and Utah but they have even done more impressive things in the last few years. We have a very broad fanbase because of our extensive alumni and church affiliation, which is why we are able to go independent (hopefully it works), but we still need a couple more decades of competing nationally before we can boast the kinds of things BigTimeCougs is. Don't get me wrong, I am a die-hard BYU fan and am hoping for a special season this year on our independence maiden voyage; but if we go undefeated I still see that ending in a BCS bowl and not THE national championship.
Coug4Life
Water Boy
Water Boy

First of all the consensus on the BYU boards is that the Ole Miss vs. BYU game is going to be a nail biter. We typically don't do very good when humidity is present. Last year when we played Florida State our team hung with them in the first half but visibly wore down in the second half. Players for Florida St. even commented on how our players slowed way down. I for one am hoping for a cold front that weekend :P
Our strength this year is actually our front 7 on D. We have 2 USC transfers who will bolster the middle and 3 of our 4 LB's will be playing on sundays. It's the most talented D we've ever fielded. With that said I have a ton of questions still with our offense. Last year when we started winning again it was against below average teams who you guys would have destroyed also. Our bright spot will definitely be our Qb Heaps who has a cannon for an arm. He also will have two 6'4" receivers who both are home run threats. In addition we have a ton of new coaches that will figure out a way to get past your corners pressing on the line. That's been a huge weakness in the past. With all this said BYU should by no means be a 2 td favorite. I wouldn't be surprised if you guys were -3 point favorites. Were a lot alike in that both teams underperformed and want to prove themselves this season. Should be a great game. I'm excited to be coming to your stadium to see some rich sec tradition.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Excuse me for being Hot headed in my previous post. Ain't no thang, I ain't mad babe.

I just Believe that we have the potential to have a better team then last year.I cannot argue one bit. We most certainly have the potential to be better. But you must admit that you original response was just a tad over confident.

If for no other reason, the off season conditioning and accountability that the coaches introduced to get as coach Nutt said, the bad taste out of their mouths. Agree again. I like what I'm seeing from both the coaches AND players with regard to doing the work and tightening up the little things.

I know that NOTHING our guys did last year support my opinion on this matter but what I said I said out of faith in coach Nutt and faith in the guys that were embarrassed last year to come out this season with a point to prove and a chip on their shoulder. Do I expect greatness? Absolutely not. Do I expect a more competitive team that will fight longer and harder then last year? Absolutely. While these expectations are certainly achievable, I just can't bring myself to "expect" anything from this team as of yet. Half way through the season with some tough games under our belt? Sure, then I'll make some assumptions about what we should and should not be able to accomplish against _______ team.

Nutt's proved that his system works if given the right circumstances and its hard to deny that we have a great opportunity on opening day to gain some much needed confidence going into the sec schedule by beating byu. Does that mean we will? No, it doesn't. Well stated.

But I believe in our rebels and I know everyone on this board does to. Again, I salute you sir. Unshakable faith is a rare thing, and perhaps I need to learn a thing or two from your example.

I just can't help being optimistic because much like our players and coaches, I have a bad taste in my mouth as well. I want that taste to go away on opening day with, hopefully, a win over byu.Nothing would please me more. And as long as we're all just chating on this board about what we think, hope for and prefer, it's all good. But the minute I see a fellow OM fan "promising" this or "guaranteeing" that about our team, I get defensive because if we're wrong, it makes our fanbase look all the more silly and uninformed. Keep the faith my main man, believe in our players, coaches and staff and support them in any way possible. I am all for it. But I will not talk smack to a team which is far and away our strongest OOC foe this season and is looking to make a statement to the entire country about SOS and BCS bowl tie ins. And I don't think anyone else should do so either. That kind of behavior smacks of State, and that's not what we do here. I will admit that I tend to let the snark and sass loose on occasion in the interests of entertainment and levity and my message tends to get a bit lost in the wave of sassitude (there's another one for you DeVon). So don't be discouraged, continue on your course of blatant and blind support, honestly, it's refreshing. Just try a little harder to keep your mouth from writing checks that our players can't cash. 8)
L. S. WHO?
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

DeVon wrote:Thanks oxpatchreb for introducing me to "freaking facepalm" and "braggadociousness," your post was pretty funny.

I snuck another one in there for you. Hope you like it.
L. S. WHO?
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

darkcoug wrote:
Hi there Rebs,

Reb fans, please ignore the above Ute poster. This guy visits all our opponents boards and tries to stir the pot pretending to be an arrogant BYU fan. As you can see, he's not even very good at masking it. Its sad with the success Utah has had in recent years that a good portion of Utah's fanbase is still made up of BYU haters rather than actual fans of Utah.

Looking forward to a good game and the atmosphere at Oxford. Go Cougs!

Sadly, we know EXACTLY what you're dealing with. In our neck of the woods, we call them Arkansas fans. Obsessed, drooling, slack jawed, mouth breathing, knuckle headed, underoos wearing, basement dwelling, goober picking, short bus riding, dirt eating, inbred trash. I hate that you classy folks have to deal with a fanbase like that. I was kind of hoping that Arkansas had that wrapped up so the rest of the country could forge ahead into the future sans breeding morons, but alas, it would appear that we will not bear that cross alone. Welcome fellow righteous ones. And do not allow those troglodytic, single celled, fecal fornicators to bring you down. We don't either!!!!
L. S. WHO?
DeVon
Water Boy
Water Boy

Isn't it funny how if you follow the trail of "talk" you always find the perpetual little brothers of college football? It would never occur to me to get on the forums of my rival's opponents in order to hate on my rival...I just don't care enough slash have better things to do.

Oxpatchreb, sassitude it pretty good but braggadociousness is epic!
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

DeVon wrote:Isn't it funny how if you follow the trail of "talk" you always find the perpetual little brothers of college football? It would never occur to me to get on the forums of my rival's opponents in order to hate on my rival...I just don't care enough slash have better things to do.

Oxpatchreb, sassitude it pretty good but braggadociousness is epic!
Isn't it a sad commentary on the state of little brother programs across the country?

Stick around if you have the time after our game. You seem like good people and we always welcome your type to our humble little corner of the tuberwebs.
L. S. WHO?
DeVon
Water Boy
Water Boy

Sounds good. I can't wait to take in some football in an SEC venue. The venues I've witnessed out here are fun, but nothing (from what I've heard) compared to football in the South. Can't wait to see it first-hand, hopefully you can show me how to do it up right.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

DeVon wrote:Sounds good. I can't wait to take in some football in an SEC venue. The venues I've witnessed out here are fun, but nothing (from what I've heard) compared to football in the South. Can't wait to see it first-hand, hopefully you can show me how to do it up right.
Unfortunately, I won't be making the trip for BYU. I'm in New Orleans and it's a hike with the whole family. I meant sticking around on the board after the game.

I assure you, you'll have a fantastic time in The Grove and in Oxford. Ignore the uber-drunk idiots and introduce yourself to as many OM fans as possible and trust me, more than a few will welcome you with open arms and give you an inside view of the glory of college football in the South.

Great. Now I'm already depressed about missing this game. Thanks.
L. S. WHO?
Chucky_38
All American
All American

I hope this doesn't come off as a dumb or insensitive question, cause I don't mean it that way at all...but I've known two Mormons my entire life and both of them were greatly offended by alchohol consumption. Do you guys think that will be a problem? Cause there will be a ton of booze in the Grove.

Just wondering...I will be there and I plan on inviting as many BYU fans as possible to our tent for food and drink and I don't want to offend anyone while downing my brew.

Ours will be the tent with the college football fight songs blasting from it by the way...I've even got BYU's on there come to think of it.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!