NCAA rule changes in effect for 2011

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

no more messages on eye black, ala zip codes or bible verses

no more wedge blocking on kickoffs

the biggest change: taunting, like high stepping into the EZ or pointing the ball at opponent, are now live-ball fouls, meaning the play is blown dead at the point of infraction and then a 15-yard penalty will be accessed. Message to all OM players: if you break off on a 50 yd run/catch or return, just look straight ahead and run like normal.

link
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

How many ges will Bama "win" because the ref can void a TD for diving across the goal line,etc.?
done

I guess you guys know that I will like the taunting rule. I just wish they would do something to stop defenders from acting like jackasses just because they make a tackle!
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:I guess you guys know that I will like the taunting rule. I just wish they would do something to stop defenders from acting like jackasses just because they make a tackle!
My question, how do you do all of this without taking all emotion out of the game.

And, yeah, what about that penalty last year when (I can't remember who it was) dove into end zone with a defender's hand on him and still got the unsportsmanlike call. Does that now mean the ball is blown dead at the spot of his jump and a 15yd penalty assessed? That call still *beep* me off and now it could make the td null and void.
Some Random Dude
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

lewindha wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:I guess you guys know that I will like the taunting rule. I just wish they would do something to stop defenders from acting like jackasses just because they make a tackle!
My question, how do you do all of this without taking all emotion out of the game.

And, yeah, what about that penalty last year when (I can't remember who it was) dove into end zone with a defender's hand on him and still got the unsportsmanlike call. Does that now mean the ball is blown dead at the spot of his jump and a 15yd penalty assessed? That call still *beep* me off and now it could make the td null and void.
This is exactly my issue with it. The taunting rule is too subjective as it is, now the refs will potentially have the ability to potentially take points off the board based on a subjective determination of what is 'showboating' and what is an effort to get in the EZ.

Last season against LSU, it didn't matter because there was also a phantom hold on that play that negated the TD anyway, but with this rule, had there not been a 'hold', we still don't get the TD. And I think it was Vaughn.
done

lewindha wrote:

Your emotion is re-directed where it should be... toward your teammates instead of to shine a light on yourself. Someone on a breakaway run, pointing at the pursuing defender does not add emotion to the game...it adds unsportsmanlike conduct and if it cost then points...it will stop d*** quickly. And our guy deserved that call... he was just showboating..the defenders touch was not keeping him out of the end zone. I applaud the NCAA for trying to keep college football from degenerating into the WWE atmosphere that has taken over the NFL. If our guys aren't disciplined enough to just get into the end zone without even taking time and focus away from that effort to hot dog, then they don't deserve to score.

Worked for Barry Sanders and Jim Brown who were two of the baddest ass runners I have ever seen.....should work for some young college running back.
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

Does this mean no more landshark?
Rule #1.......Don't panik
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Rebchuck18 wrote:
lewindha wrote:

Your emotion is re-directed where it should be... toward your teammates instead of to shine a light on yourself. Someone on a breakaway run, pointing at the pursuing defender does not add emotion to the game...it adds unsportsmanlike conduct and if it cost then points...it will stop d*** quickly. And our guy deserved that call... he was just showboating..the defenders touch was not keeping him out of the end zone. I applaud the NCAA for trying to keep college football from degenerating into the WWE atmosphere that has taken over the NFL. If our guys aren't disciplined enough to just get into the end zone without even taking time and focus away from that effort to hot dog, then they don't deserve to score.

Worked for Barry Sanders and Jim Brown who were two of the baddest ass runners I have ever seen.....should work for some young college running back.
I understand your feelings on this, I am just worried about the potential subjectiveness of some of the calls that are considered 'unsportsmanlike'. What about when a player is running into the SEZ in VH and points toward our student section as he is going in to thank them for their support? Is that "unsportsmanlike"? He isn't directing any malice toward an opposing player, but according to the NCAA it is. And it draws no more attention to him as an individual, IMO, than the play on its own. Alot of what can come under this rule is spur of the moment, un-premeditated action that happens without even thinking about it.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

badmotorfinger wrote:Does this mean no more landshark?
Don't know how exactly it would. The landshark sign, if penalized, occurs after the play is over anyway, so the dead-ball effect wouldn't matter. This adaptation stops plays that are still under way, then tacks on penalty yards.
done

badmotorfinger wrote:Does this mean no more landshark?
Unfortunately, no.....unless they do it while they are returning an interception for a TD...
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:

DMc
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

yeah well if "excessive celebration" is taunting, Jesus H. Tebow taunted more teams in his career than all the Rebels in the history of football...
also...I'll agree with Chuck 100% if he can even almost convince me that this rule will be used equally against all teams including Bama and Florida and never cost the underdog a game against a Big Boy with a controversial ruling.

problem is the individual 'interpretation" of an action by a referee that has already been harassed all afternoon by the HC and fans for lousy calls he's already made...yada yada yada. Just the questionable 15 yarder after the TD cost some SEC teams big games last year.
done

Tebow never pointed at another player when running in for a TD. I have no problem with his celebrations because they were with his team and after the play. This penalty is about pointing and doing summersaults ON YOUR WAY to scoring...it is long overdue...Tebow only "taunted" his opponents by beating them..As far as subjective calls costing TD's...that already happens...holding, pass interference, whether a player is pushed out of bounds before he comes back in and catches the ball....

I applaud what they are trying to do and will not denounce it as being "another way to help Bama" unless I see proof that it is. They need to do something though...before these divas suck all of the college out of college football..Just my opinion
Chucky_38
All American
All American

Its the blatant attack on Christianity that I have a problem with here. I don't care what they say, the eye black rule is a direct response to Tebow's Bible verses. The NCAA should not have power of a player's freedom of expression. Next the phrase "God bless" will no longer be allowed.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
batman50
3rd String
3rd String

I don't understand the No wedge blocking on Kickoffs. It's been 1996 since I played football, but I was taught that in junior high. Why would that be not allowed all of a sudden? I thought this was football??? Apparently the NCAA thinks it's under water basket weaving.

And freedom of expression in football??? Na, not with the N(azi)CAA! Before long it will be just numbers on jerseys, with blank helmets and all one color uniforms. It's pitiful. :evil: