A little tidbit on the game

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Barry Brunetti was not available for the final drive against Texas A&M because he reinjured his shoulder on the out of bounds tackle late in the game.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

He wasn't going in either way IMO until Bo got us past midfield. Freeze typically only puts him in on the opponents side of the 50. He lets Bo drive them past the 50 or if we get a return past the 50 then he puts Brunetti in.
batman50
3rd String
3rd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:He wasn't going in either way IMO until Bo got us past midfield. Freeze typically only puts him in on the opponents side of the 50. He lets Bo drive them past the 50 or if we get a return past the 50 then he puts Brunetti in.

That's because he makes better decisions in the red zone. IMO
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:He wasn't going in either way IMO until Bo got us past midfield. Freeze typically only puts him in on the opponents side of the 50. He lets Bo drive them past the 50 or if we get a return past the 50 then he puts Brunetti in.
I guess u missed that long drive with BB at the QB position just the last series? So I guess this means u are wrong. Freeze had BB in for the whole drive, and I think it stands to reason he'd been in again since it was working. Unless u don't think we have a HC that's smart enough to stick with what works. But it is funny that some on here get mad because he didn't play BB at the end, and when it comes out that BB couldn't go back in, the argument is he wouldn't have played him anyway. Nevermind he just did the series before. Fans, gotta love em.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

batman50 wrote:

I think it is because there are only a limited number of plays that he is comfortable with Barry running. Saturday he just handed the ball off on 70% of his plays.
rickochet2
Scout Team
Scout Team

Rebchuck18 wrote:
batman50 wrote:

I think it is because there are only a limited number of plays that he is comfortable with Barry running. Saturday he just handed the ball off on 70% of his plays.
BB has speed to the corner that BW does not have. IMO he is more diverse for the spread than BW. BW just is not that scary on the read option. The last 3 weeks have proved that EVERY D-line can catch him before he makes the corner.

It is also my opinion that he is not making good reads. Sat there were countless times he kept when it was clear the DE had crashed down & the give to the RB was open to get to the corner.

BB's problem has been that he does not intimidate the D when it comes to the pass. Sat he only passed 4 times & ALL 4 were good reads & forced the D to remain honest when he was at QB.

I am convinced that w/ 3mins to play that BB would have been QB if he were able. We needed to be able to run to keep the clock moving. By doing that Tam would have never gotten the ball back. W/out his availability BW was put in. If Logan makes the 2nd down catch I believe we would be a much happier crowd this week.

BW is starting to pull a Snead these days. He is starting to stare down his receivers far too often. His picks the last 2 weeks are b/c of that. Chuck I know you like the fact he threw for 300 again but never forget that costly pick. That pick was ALL ON BW. He stared the Receiver down & never looked to see if the coverage was there.

Both QB's have earned PT & losing BB will be costly if he misses any significant time.
I am on the golf course if the Rebels aren't on the field.
OMNOB 1A
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

To me, it just shows that we really don't have a QB at all.

And I get that. Was frightened by that going into last season. The scheme that Freeze runs caught alot of opposing coaches by surprise a season ago, and it is apparent that they are not so shocked by the offense in year two given that Bo really is not much of a runner and Barry is not much of a passer. Neither fella is effective.

For this "basketball on a football field" concept to work, we need a real duel-threat guy under center.

I have said before either young man ever played a down that I was of the opinion that Barry was better suited to execute this sort of offense, but if you really can't throw a good ball? And Bo, at this point can't run the ball, or pass the ball very well. It isn't his fault either. It was a desperate move on the part of our coaching staff to get someone, anyone into the fold that might, maybe, have the ability to run the system. And a guy that can't make it work from the out-set at a small-ish school like Arkansas St is and never was, the answer. Nor is a cast off from the then Big East.

Bo was named that and a guy that had no business running an offense in the SEC and Barry was an West Virginia cast off. Hence, we haven't a QB.

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong.

Not sure that it makes a difference. I, as well as many of you have heard that if you have two QB's, you have no QB's.

This stands to reason as Nutt's offense and Freeze's offense are not animals of the like kind.

My hope is that a season from now we end up with a QB that can be effective and Wallace and Brunetti join the unfortunate position of guys that Rebel fans will easily forget.
rickochet2
Scout Team
Scout Team

OMNOB 1A wrote:
Not sure that it makes a difference. I, as well as many of you have heard that if you have two QB's, you have no QB's.

My hope is that a season from now we end up with a QB that can be effective and Wallace and Brunetti join the unfortunate position of guys that Rebel fans will easily forget.
Not an unreasonable assessment.
I am on the golf course if the Rebels aren't on the field.
olemissreb10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I dont view having 2 quarterbacks as a bad thing if they bring something different to the table. When you rotate two quarterback that are basically the same, you are screwed.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

OMNOB 1A wrote:To me, it just shows that we really don't have a QB at all.

And I get that. Was frightened by that going into last season. The scheme that Freeze runs caught alot of opposing coaches by surprise a season ago, and it is apparent that they are not so shocked by the offense in year two given that Bo really is not much of a runner and Barry is not much of a passer. Neither fella is effective.

For this "basketball on a football field" concept to work, we need a real duel-threat guy under center.

I have said before either young man ever played a down that I was of the opinion that Barry was better suited to execute this sort of offense, but if you really can't throw a good ball? And Bo, at this point can't run the ball, or pass the ball very well. It isn't his fault either. It was a desperate move on the part of our coaching staff to get someone, anyone into the fold that might, maybe, have the ability to run the system. And a guy that can't make it work from the out-set at a small-ish school like Arkansas St is and never was, the answer. Nor is a cast off from the then Big East.

Bo was named that and a guy that had no business running an offense in the SEC and Barry was an West Virginia cast off. Hence, we haven't a QB.

This stands to reason as Nutt's offense and Freeze's offense are not animals of the like kind.

I like Wallace and I think BB has a set of skills that should be on the field. I don't think you're right, but I don't think you're completely wrong. And if I had said this, I would be a negative nellie for bashing our players.
Some Random Dude
Chucky_38
All American
All American

Great point. Kincade should make us better offensively. Pretty crazy that Freeze's offense would be better with a better qb. Its already amazing.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
OMNOB 1A
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

lewindha wrote:

I like Wallace and I think BB has a set of skills that should be on the field. I don't think you're right, but I don't think you're completely wrong. And if I had said this, I would be a negative nellie for bashing our players.
I did not "bash" a soul.

I am not a BW or BB hater.

My thoughts on either young man does not reflect an opinion that is designed to "Bash".

My opinion or thoughts are likely not too far off of those that are expressed in meeting rooms everyday amongst our coaches.

It's year two for Pete's sake!

I would be willing to bet a large amount of cash that says Bo was brought in because he knew the scheme and Brunetti was not apt to deliver the scheme. Pretty simplistic.

I am not throwing either guy under any bus. They just simply do not fit. Again, no one's fault.

Freeze and Co. needs a chance to get guys they want into the fold and then be judged after that.

Not sure that can be done in this day and age, but, the "powers-that-be" at Ole Miss asked for this and when you change things as drastically as have been done, you need a bit to plug in your players in order to find success.

All things considered, I get where Bjork is going, given that in all likely -hood We cannot afford to try and "ground and pound" with the likes of Bama, LSU, Georgia, etc, so my hope is that they let and give time to coach Freeze to get "His guys" in place.

Gun to head?

My guess is that neither Bo nor Barry was the guy he wanted.
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rickochet2 wrote:
OMNOB 1A wrote:

Not an unreasonable assessment.

^^^^This....
Randy
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I didn't say you bashed anyone. You voiced your opinion and that is more than fine.
Some Random Dude
batman50
3rd String
3rd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:
batman50 wrote:

He may have just handed the ball off on 70% of the plays, but I guarantee that's because it was a read option. The "options" he chose were working when we needed them.