All American
All American

Baseball in 4 days!!!

That is all :P
GO REBELS!!!
GtownRebel
All American
All American

How will our hitting strength be this year? Last I heard in teh last 3 days we had a total of 4 home runs. Knowing Bianco's tendencies for playing long ball, it doesn't sound like we can live up to the hype. Good pitching and little hitting means we go to the regional and maybe super regional again only to watch the CWS again. Sorry, but what has changed from last year in your opinion from a hitting standpoint?
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

GtownRebel wrote:How will our hitting strength be this year? Last I heard in teh last 3 days we had a total of 4 home runs. Knowing Bianco's tendencies for playing long ball, it doesn't sound like we can live up to the hype. Good pitching and little hitting means we go to the regional and maybe super regional again only to watch the CWS again. Sorry, but what has changed from last year in your opinion from a hitting standpoint?
Idk. Info is spotty for me. If we've only had 4 HRs in 3 days in practice then there's an issue.

Nevertheless, I still have faith in Coach Rob. His resume speaks for itself. I have been disappointed the past two seasons, but I hope for a turn around this season. We'll have to wait and see. Could it be that our pitching is so good we're not hitting homers off of our own pitchers? One can dream...

I think the bats will warm as they see real competition. Look for solid wins over Liberty and Mercer and a close one against USA this weekend. I think we sweep along with the two game mid-week against UCA. We should be 5-0 going into the series against TCU. It's at home, I think we take the win, 2-1. Hopefully a win over A-State in mid-week to make it 8-1 or 7-2 going into a home series against Vermont. Break out the bats. Rebs will destroy the Catamounts. The Catamounts start their season next weekend at Vandy (2/27) so that will be an interesting series to watch, but I figure Vermont will not pose much of a threat. May be wrong, but don't think so. Make it 11-1 or 10-2 after the weekend. Take one or two against Austin Peay and I think you'll see the Rebels anywhere from 10-4 to 14-0 going into the first conference series at Vandy. That's a pretty solid start and i think that should be the first big benchmark of the season. 4 losses will mean shaky territory, but nothing that's not correctable. More than 4 losses with that schedule and, well...

First early "make or break" test is going to be TCU at home the second weekend of the year.
GO REBELS!!!
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

oxfordrebel wrote:
GtownRebel wrote:

Nevertheless, I still have faith in Coach Rob.
I'm glad you do because I don't. Our batting average has been down both years that he's been here. And we don't seem to get the clutch hits or score guys consistently from 2nd or 3rd especially with less than 2 outs.

Team batting average, runs scored and record.

08--.295---426---(39-26)--65 total games--6.55 runs/game
07--.308---409---(40-25)--65 total games--6.29 runs/game
06--.309---483---(44-22)--66 total games--7.31 runs/game
05--.321---501---(48-20)--68 total games--7.36 runs/game
04--.296---368---(31-21)--52 total games--7.07 runs/game

We were averaging almost a run a game more before he arrived. I've not been impressed.
Nutt calls the formation the Wild Rebel. Which sure beats the heck out of Orgeron's Wild Boys.
----Calkins
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Redbluedude wrote:
oxfordrebel wrote:
GtownRebel wrote:

I'm glad you do because I don't. Our batting average has been down both years that he's been here. And we don't seem to get the clutch hits or score guys consistently from 2nd or 3rd especially with less than 2 outs.

We were averaging almost a run a game more before he arrived. I've not been impressed.
I know...I know. What I don't get is how is it that his clubs were consistently in the top of the nation in BA then he comes to Ole Miss and it falls through the floor? I don't get it!

I have faith...this year. If things don't turn around then my faith may not last till the 2010 season. I'm hoping for the best here.
GO REBELS!!!
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

oxfordrebel wrote:
Redbluedude wrote:
oxfordrebel wrote:

I know...I know. What I don't get is how is it that his clubs were consistently in the top of the nation in BA then he comes to Ole Miss and it falls through the floor? I don't get it!

I have faith...this year. If things don't turn around then my faith may not last till the 2010 season. I'm hoping for the best here.
I think some of it has to do with a mixture of philosophies. Bianco has always been an "attack the first pitch fast-ball" coach while Rob has taught "patience for your pitch". They'll work it out.....
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

We students can still get *beep* housed in right field, correct? gameday forecast 52 and sunny..good bourbon weather.
We Are Ole Miss
done

mpzreb17 wrote:We students can still get *beep* housed in right field, correct? gameday forecast 52 and sunny..good bourbon weather.
Given the reputation that we get from drunk students, just curious? What's more important...the baseball or the bourbon? 8)
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

That could be a tough call. :D
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

Rebchuck18 wrote:
mpzreb17 wrote:We students can still get *beep* housed in right field, correct? gameday forecast 52 and sunny..good bourbon weather.
Given the reputation that we get from drunk students, just curious? What's more important...the baseball or the bourbon? 8)
They both compliment each other very well. Unfortunately the dentist threw me on antibiotics and lortab in preparation for a deep root canal on Tuesday so no booze for me anyway. For the record, I'm the sip on it type, not the drink the bottle and peg the umpire type. Overall the baseball is more important, prior to my dentist office visit I was just checking the legality of whether or not I brought something to sip on, or sat in the stands.
We Are Ole Miss
Heath
All American
All American

It was always fun to have a few out in left field, but I sat out there many games and didn't have anything. Hopefully the Longhorn games will be as fun (but I doubt it) because that will have to do for now.

Rebchuck, if you want to join me at some Longhorn games on Sat. or Sun. afternoon, let me know.
done

Heath wrote:It was always fun to have a few out in left field, but I sat out there many games and didn't have anything. Hopefully the Longhorn games will be as fun (but I doubt it) because that will have to do for now.

Rebchuck, if you want to join me at some Longhorn games on Sat. or Sun. afternoon, let me know.
Difference is at the Longhorn games it is the coach who is sipping the Bourbon...

Sorry too easy. Shouldn't joke about drinking and driving though.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:
Heath wrote:It was always fun to have a few out in left field, but I sat out there many games and didn't have anything. Hopefully the Longhorn games will be as fun (but I doubt it) because that will have to do for now.

Difference is at the Longhorn games it is the coach who is sipping the Bourbon...

Poor Auggie...
GO REBELS!!!
Heath
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:

But then again, Augie is suspended for 4 GAMES! 8O And they are playing Univ. of Ill.-Chicago for those 4 games this weekend. If Texas even needs a coach for those 4 games, they are in trouble. I think you could just tell the captain of the team to make out the line-up and tell the catcher to call the pitches and still probably win all 4. :lol:
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Heath wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:

But then again, Augie is suspended for 4 GAMES! 8O And they are playing Univ. of Ill.-Chicago for those 4 games this weekend. If Texas even needs a coach for those 4 games, they are in trouble. I think you could just tell the captain of the team to make out the line-up and tell the catcher to call the pitches and still probably win all 4. :lol:
Don't forget that Ill.-Chicago came to Oxford a couple of years ago in opening weekend and took a game from us and almost took two. They're no push over. UT might get more than they think from them!
GO REBELS!!!