Alabama Game 1

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

Chucky_38
All American
All American

Rebs win 8-7 in a freaking thriller! I wasn't there and didn't get to listen to it...but I know Bittle walked at least five guys, threw a wild pitch and gave up a double with the bases loaded and the game tied in the top of the 9th after we squandered a 5-2 lead and we STILL won! 8O
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
Heath
All American
All American

I know last time I saw OM and Bama play (2 years ago), Bittle DID come in and lose that game by walking people. I think the Bama players just learned to watch "the Thing", and it would go into the dirt. Or at least that is what they did two years ago.
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

I was able to listen to the 8th and 9th innings last night. Bittle did not have his stuff at all and it was obvious early. He could not throw a strike and the bama players were just taking pitches. FIVE WALKS with an intentional walk in 0.2 innings of work?????????? That's more than you want in an entire game. He faced 10 batters and 6 were given a free pass, that's horrible.

McKean comes in and gets a ground out and then a pop out on the 2 batters he faced. Bianco left Bittle in wayyyyyyy too long.

The bottom of the 9th was awesome. The batters were patient, got a double, some walks, a hit by pitch, and a wild pitch to win the game. I had to listen to a bama station online, could not get Ole Miss online, which is pathetic. The bama announcers were sick, one actually said that if they blow the 9th that he was going to 'go throw up.' Well, I guess he did, cause they BLEW IT!!!

Suck it Bama!
Nutt calls the formation the Wild Rebel. Which sure beats the heck out of Orgeron's Wild Boys.
----Calkins
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Yeah, couldn't make it last night- going today. But anyway, I have to buy my little boy a new cd player-radio....I broke his antenna off last night during the top of the ninth. ;). Oh well....I'll but it gladly.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Redbluedude wrote:I was able to listen to the 8th and 9th innings last night. Bittle did not have his stuff at all and it was obvious early. He could not throw a strike and the bama players were just taking pitches. FIVE WALKS with an intentional walk in 0.2 innings of work?????????? That's more than you want in an entire game. He faced 10 batters and 6 were given a free pass, that's horrible.

McKean comes in and gets a ground out and then a pop out on the 2 batters he faced. Bianco left Bittle in wayyyyyyy too long.

The bottom of the 9th was awesome. The batters were patient, got a double, some walks, a hit by pitch, and a wild pitch to win the game. I had to listen to a bama station online, could not get Ole Miss online, which is pathetic. The bama announcers were sick, one actually said that if they blow the 9th that he was going to 'go throw up.' Well, I guess he did, cause they BLEW IT!!!

Suck it Bama!
Bianco is an excellent recruitor and gets his players to play at a high level but his in game management is sketchy at best and leaving pitchers in to hang themselves has been common practice for him. It was very obvious Bittle did not have his stuff, I listened from the 7th on and the walks were not close. He could not throw a strike he was even missing on fastballs. He had five walks on the season with two of those being intentional coming into this game. The thing that really killed me was after bittle had walked a run in Bianco didnt think maybe he should be pulled or even chat with him, he decided to pull him after we blew a lead and the damage had been done. Luckily Bama's closer imploded also or we would have lost a game that should not have even been in question. I know bittle a machine but he just didnt have it last night and was hung out to dry.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

MageeRebel425 wrote:
Redbluedude wrote:I was able to listen to the 8th and 9th innings last night. Bittle did not have his stuff at all and it was obvious early. He could not throw a strike and the bama players were just taking pitches. FIVE WALKS with an intentional walk in 0.2 innings of work?????????? That's more than you want in an entire game. He faced 10 batters and 6 were given a free pass, that's horrible.

Suck it Bama!
Bianco is an excellent recruitor and gets his players to play at a high level but his in game management is sketchy at best and leaving pitchers in to hang themselves has been common practice for him. It was very obvious Bittle did not have his stuff, I listened from the 7th on and the walks were not close. He could not throw a strike he was even missing on fastballs. He had five walks on the season with two of those being intentional coming into this game. The thing that really killed me was after bittle had walked a run in Bianco didnt think maybe he should be pulled or even chat with him, he decided to pull him after we blew a lead and the damage had been done. Luckily Bama's closer imploded also or we would have lost a game that should not have even been in question. I know bittle a machine but he just didnt have it last night and was hung out to dry.
The big danger here is other teams deciding not to swing, period... in clutch pitching situations. even when he is "on" an ump with a tight strike zone....
Heath
All American
All American

MageeRebel425 wrote:

Suck it Bama!
I agree with you on the game management part. I have also seen Bianco take "set-up" men out too early just to get the closer in there. In my opinion, and I am not a coach, if you have a pitcher that is doing well, LEAVE HIM IN THERE. I am against taking out a pitcher, who is striking people out, just to put in the "closer."

Bianco did that crap with Cryer either 07 or 08 against Ark., then Satterwhite came in and either blew the save or came close and this was after Cryer had not given up a hit in 1 or 2 innings.
done

Bianco is the most successful Ole Miss baseball coach in decades....I will not parse his every decision like I did Cutcliffe's.....I will be thankful for the victories and trust him based upon his successes. Especially after two wins against an SEC West opponent.