Ole Miss vs. LSU - Game 2

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

oxfordrebel
All American
All American

This has been a game of pitching, specifically Ole Miss' lack of and LSU's near perfection.

Irwin did okay, but his stuff was nowhere near as sharp as it has been the past two weekend. Baker gave up the big 3 run SINGLE to break it wide open for the Kitties. Rebs trying to make some noise in the 8th, one run in already. 6-2 LSU top of the 8th...
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

The hitting has been decent in this one. How do I say that when we've only tallied 4 runs thus far? LSU's starter was honestly that good. Just nasty stuff. That said, the guys have made some really bad decisions on some pitches and just like Irwin, while the hitting has been decent, it hasn't been as aharp as we've seen in recent weekends.

Just a tough game. There have been 5 series since '83 in Baton Rouge when the Rebels have taken the Friday night game only to drop the backside of the series to lose on Saturday and Sunday. Let's hope the Rebels change history this weekend. The last time they won a series over the Tigers in Baton Rouge was 1982. They never swept a series at the "Box". Hopefully this new Box will prove better for the Rebels.
GO REBELS!!!
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

3 run singles are back breakers.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Rebel bats came alive in the 9th as they sent 8 men to the plate and scored 3 runs, but Button left the bat on his shoulder as he watched 2 strikes go by to strike out and give LSU the 1 run win.

Again, we GOT to change history and win tomorrow in the rubber match. This is an important series and it's going to leave a mark on the season. It's a defining series that will determine who takes 2nd place alone in the West. Arkansas has now gone up by 3 games on anyone in the West meaning they could get swept by LSU or Ole Miss and still tie for 1st in the West. And they still have two games to go against MSU as they've only played one thus far on the season. Not good. If they take the sweep against State tomorrow (they beat the puppies 20-9 in game 1 today, so a good chance at that...) then they'll be 4 games up on 2nd place no matter what happens in Baton Rouge tomorrow.
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

parrotreb wrote:3 run singles are back breakers.
Yep. They are usually the result of an error, but today it was a lucky hit down the right field line that just went right over the bag. Inches away from going foul, but just got in there. Dean has been pitiful this year and he comes up with a 4-5 day and 4 RBIs today against the Rebels. So sometimes you just won't get the breaks you need.
GO REBELS!!!
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

oxfordrebel wrote:
parrotreb wrote:3 run singles are back breakers.
Yep. They are usually the result of an error, but today it was a lucky hit down the right field line that just went right over the bag. Inches away from going foul, but just got in there. Dean has been pitiful this year and he comes up with a 4-5 day and 4 RBIs today against the Rebels. So sometimes you just won't get the breaks you need.
It was between first and second and the RF held the ball while the third run scored. It was definitely the result of an error, just not one of commission.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
Heath
All American
All American

Well, the guys did fight back hard and come within one. I had to go and didn't get to watch the last couple of innings. So, hopefully that will give some confidence and Bittle can come out and pitch well today. Let's take 2 of 3!
olemissreb10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

So far it's 0-0 in the 5th. Bittle has only given up 1 hit and has struck out 6 batters.