BYU vs Florida great game

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

done

Just watched a rarity these days...a quality college basketball game

BYU beat Florida in 2OT 99-92. Both teams played well and BYU is actually a team of great BASKETBALL players which beat a team with better athletes.

BYU has an amazing guard named Jimmer Fredette..he looks like he came straight out of the movie Hoosiers...he runs their team with great smarts...shoots 90% from the FT line...plays great defense (as does his whole team) and he scored 37 points against an SEC team that prides itself on its defense. He had been taking the ball to the goal a lot in the second half, but in the second overtime at a crucial time, he made a move toward the goal causing two Florida defenders to back up and he calmly stepped back and drained a sweet Three point shot to pull away from the Gators at the end.

Both teams shot greater than 70% from the free throw line in the game..and get this...BYU as a team shot 77% from the line for THE YEAR! It was so much fun to watch this game and I did not care who won because they both played so well. Florida had two chances to win at the end of regulation and OT but BYU played solid disciplined defense and forced them to take long shots in both situations.

I would be in the Tad Pad every game if our team played like the BYU team...and even though they are disciplined and play smart defense they do not slow the game down and play half court..their first desire is to run but they do it under control....really fun to watch...don't know if they have the athletic ability to hang with Kansas State (probably their next opponent) but I wouldn't bet against them...

another unrelated oddity in this game....at crucial times throughout the game there were actually seven white guys on the floor at once...can't remember when I have seen that...just an observation....
done

12 seed Cornell just whooped 5 seed Temple and shot 79% from free throw line and 56% from the field...I have just been watching the wrong teams play college basketball...with the one and done and the AAU culture pervading the larger conferences, these "lesser: conferences have teams that actually stay together for a few years and play sound fundamental basketball.....WHO KNEW!

And now 13 Sienna is giving 4 Purdue all they want...

GO little guys...you make me actually want to watch college basketball!
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

As undisciplined as the Rebels played this year, the sad thing is they would have still made the NCAA by having a 70% free throw percentage on the year... If I could make 70% of my free throws in high school there's no reason these great athletes can't do it.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

[quote="felicianareb"]As undisciplined as the Rebels played this year, the sad thing is they would have still made the NCAA by having a 70% free throw percentage on the year... If I could make 70% of my free throws in high school there's no reason these great athletes can't do it.[/quote

our girls shoot better FT's. And maybe 3pointers %.
done

#10 St. Mary's sends #2 Villanova packing and Norther Iowa up by 10 over #1 overall seed Kansas half way through second half!
done

Kansas beaten by a bunch of scrappy non-stars at #9 Norther Iowa! Again basketball players beat athletic studs!
------------------

I have printed off 100 copies of my NCAA tournament bracket and will be using it for toilet paper over the course of next week....'cause at this point, that's about all it's good for. 8O
done

Mine was RIP by Thursday evening!
------------------

Mine was too, but I was in a state of denial about its demise! :lol: