New Head Coach Search...

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

colreb74
3rd String
3rd String

OK, let's face it, selection Sunday hasn't even occurred, AK hasn't yet been fired (and may not be), and it's way too early for this, but it could be fun.

I say we should go after Rick Pitino! I know it sounds like a stretch initially, but think about it... Wouldn't he love to get back in the SEC and beat his former club on a regular basis. Sure, UL and UK play each other now, but Pitino is a competitor, and Calipari is putting Kentucky back in the status of the elite. Pitino won't be able to recruit against Calipari in Kentucky and he knows it! Say he goes to another SEC school where he isn't competing with UK (and Calipari) for recruits as much, but still gets to compete (and have a good chance to win) against them each year. And the SEC West is weak, A coach like Pitino could come in and turn us around in one year much like Nutt did with the football program, only Pitino could have winning the West out right and in the NCAA tourney next year. He's guaranteed to have Ole Miss as out right champion of the SEC West next year, and with the 1 seed in the SEC tourney I believe we would definitely in the NCAA tourney and headed in the right direction.

Yes... I know I'm probably dreaming, but much like Massachusetts politics, the next chapter in the Ole Miss basketball program has got to be better than the the Kennedy years.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

so you're ready to pony up? bc it will take a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to get Ricky-Poo to OM
wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

I can't believe I wasted 1 minute of my life reading that.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I nominate this as the stupidest post of the year, and I didn't even read past the first sentence. :x
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
------------------

colreb74 wrote:OK, let's face it, selection Sunday hasn't even occurred, AK hasn't yet been fired (and may not be), and it's way too early for this, but it could be fun.

I say we should go after Rick Pitino! I know it sounds like a stretch initially, but think about it... Wouldn't he love to get back in the SEC and beat his former club on a regular basis. Sure, UL and UK play each other now, but Pitino is a competitor, and Calipari is putting Kentucky back in the status of the elite. Pitino won't be able to recruit against Calipari in Kentucky and he knows it! Say he goes to another SEC school where he isn't competing with UK (and Calipari) for recruits as much, but still gets to compete (and have a good chance to win) against them each year. And the SEC West is weak, A coach like Pitino could come in and turn us around in one year much like Nutt did with the football program, only Pitino could have winning the West out right and in the NCAA tourney next year. He's guaranteed to have Ole Miss as out right champion of the SEC West next year, and with the 1 seed in the SEC tourney I believe we would definitely in the NCAA tourney and headed in the right direction.

Yes... I know I'm probably dreaming, but much like Massachusetts politics, the next chapter in the Ole Miss basketball program has got to be better than the the Kennedy years.
Image Image ImageImageImageImageImage

:mrgreen:
done

No way AK is going to be (or should be) fired, but just for fantasy discussion sake, if we want to make waves and bring "progressive" press to our beleaguered University, let's offer the job to Pat Summit.

I bet you that she (or Gino Auriemma) could take a group of scrappy Academy school grads and beat our geat athletes in the game of basketball....

Hey what's the downside, it's not like we have ever been a basketball power...why not go for the positive press in basketball while Nutt continues to build a football powerhouse..and that lady can flat coach!
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:No way AK is going to be (or should be) fired, but just for fantasy discussion sake, if we want to make waves and bring "progressive" press to our beleaguered University, let's offer the job to Pat Summit.

I bet you that she (or Gino Auriemma) could take a group of scrappy Academy school grads and beat our geat athletes in the game of basketball....

Hey what's the downside, it's not like we have ever been a basketball power...why not go for the positive press in basketball while Nutt continues to build a football powerhouse..and that lady can flat coach!
good choice. Could see her "discussing" penny pinching with Pete.

Of course we can't afford her...
jrhawki
Scout Team
Scout Team

No reason in the world to start something up like this as, AK has served us well. 3 20game seasons, he finds a BIG man we will go deep into March next season.....
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

jrhawki wrote:No reason in the world to start something up like this as, AK has served us well. 3 20game seasons, he finds a BIG man we will go deep into March next season.....

20 win seasons are not what they used to be. Southern won 20 games and they are on the bubble of the NIT. You are right if he finds a BIG man they might make a run all the way through March next season. I think the NIT championship is in early April. He did a really nice job of turning the program around his first couple of seasons, but in coaching its what have you done for me lately? Not much positive lately, over the past 2 seasons he has been a major embarrassment to the University. The cab incident was bad enough, but did you forget the counter suit by his wife?

http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2009 ... st-sex-dr/
colreb74
3rd String
3rd String

MageeRebel425 wrote:
jrhawki wrote:No reason in the world to start something up like this as, AK has served us well. 3 20game seasons, he finds a BIG man we will go deep into March next season.....

20 win seasons are not what they used to be. Southern won 20 games and they are on the bubble of the NIT. You are right if he finds a BIG man they might make a run all the way through March next season. I think the NIT championship is in early April. He did a really nice job of turning the program around his first couple of seasons, but in coaching its what have you done for me lately? Not much positive lately, over the past 2 seasons he has been a major embarrassment to the University. The cab incident was bad enough, but did you forget the counter suit by his wife?

http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2009 ... st-sex-dr/
Thank you for pointing that put. How quickly we forget! There were about as many "fans" saying to give Orgeron 1 more year to turn things around. Grant it Orgeron was worse that Kennedy, but where is the improvement? The first 20 win season we were all like "yeah he's turning it around" last year was written off to the injuries and this year with everyone healthy zero improvement and they can't hit a freaking free throw. I like AK aside from the poor judgement off court and feel he was probably the best option at the time. But realistically I don't see is improving our record next season, do you? Anyone? This was a down year in the west. And we got swept by MS State and lost to some poor teams. We beat 2 teams early in the season that turned out to be good (UTEP & K State) while we got worse throughout the season. Face it, our 4 game win streak came against the scraps of the SECOND and most of those were close. This years 21 wins came because we were more lucky than good.
done

IMO we will never go deep into the tourney (if we ever even get in the tourney) with AK, UNLESS he changes his coaching, style of play and/or the kind of players he recruits...but you certainly can not fire him.
colreb74
3rd String
3rd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:IMO we will never go deep into the tourney (if we ever even get in the tourney) with AK, UNLESS he changes his coaching, style of play and/or the kind of players he recruits...but you certainly can not fire him.

Why not? Ever get 4 straight "Needs Improvement" on tour performance evaluation? I don't know AK's performance goals, and I'm sure "National Championship" wasn't on the list... but I'm betting at least going to the NCAA tourney and winning an SEC championship were on the list. And I don't see is ever winning an SEC championship under AK. Lots of people (even coaches) are fired for not meeting performance objectives year after year.
colreb74
3rd String
3rd String

bleuwolfe wrote:so you're ready to pony up? bc it will take a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to get Ricky-Poo to OM
I was figuring we could get him for a steal at $3 million. He's making 2.25 @ Louisville. He Would bring more than that to Ole Miss in increased ticket sales, concessions, and merchandise sales. Plus more would be donated to the UMAA for priority seating. Heck Bama's basketball coach makes $1.8 million and I couldn't tell you his name! 3 million would have him at 3rd place in SEC basketball salaries. We might not be willing to pay it, but not because we can't come up with the dough or because he's not worth it!
fastbrk4
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Let's make it happen!!! Pitino to Ole Miss!!!! Start spreading the word :wink:
DuckHunter1964
Water Boy
Water Boy

Just be thankful that Ole Miss doesn't have Jeff Long as their AD. Otherwise, their hoops program would be de-emphasized and the Rebels might be stuck with John Boy Walton as their head coach for the forseeable future.

Trust me, 9 wins in conference play over a 2-year stretch gets rather old, rather quick, and then you're the first team to lose to a hapless LSU group when more than one third of their roster is made up of walk-ons. All that says nothing of the Whoopi Goldberg wannabe we have running the offense on the floor, and all the drama he brings both on and off the court. Yet to hear Long and JBW talk, you'd swear that things are looking up.

Not saying you should be happy with who you have and how things are going, but don't ever tell yourself that things can't get any worse.