Hate to say it but somethings wrong with kennedy,bb program

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

I really do hate to say this because at the end of this season we were all looking forward to what seemed to be a for sure 2011 ncaa tournament birth, but thats not going to happen now. Something is wrong in the olemiss basketball program. Our best players are leaving the program without a second thought. That is not right, something is making them not want to come back. Look at the facts, this year alone weve lost 2 starters, a once upon a time starter, and a key reserve player. Thats 4 players who were the back bone of this team last year. Last year we lost a starter in huertas and then a starter in malcolm white. That adds up to be 6 great players that have left this team in only 2 short years. Thats 6 players who if stayed would have made us into a great team. Its absolutely no coincidence that 6 of our best players just walked away from college basketball. Something is wrong here. Andy kennedy is looking very bad right now and he acts like its a common thing for this to happen. News flash andy, this isn't a common thing. In fact, this has the sports world talking about how unusual this actually is. Now we have no post game, we have no future nba player in white, we have no 3 point sharp shooter in huertas, and we have no future lsu star malcolm white who will shred us down low next year against lsu. What looked like a for sure ncaa birth has now turned into a mediocre team with mediocre players (except for warren if he stays healthy), and we all know warren can't do it by himself. Buckner will help, but he has injury problems from his past that may hurt us.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Not sweeping problems under the rug...but maybe some of it is the fact that players of their calibre look up in the stands and see less students than they see at the Library on Thursday night...

Also we have to have the type players we have. There are basically 3 types. The academic all American athlete. These guys play on teams like Duke. The teams they join have high academic standards and often show up in the elite eight.

The next group are the "athletes" who grew up playing the type of ball chuck hates and Kennedy runs. Their atleticism is the only chance you have at beating Duke, etc. These are Kennedy recruits. They play hard but not always smart and bring a variety of problems to campus on occasion. They

The rest may or may not have be better in the class room but their skills don't match up with the elite players at Duke or the athletes at OM

The "dukes" will almost always get those players who win by playing smart rather than hard.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Sorry about the editing errors. d*** phone
done

I think that that are probably numerous "smart" basketball players who are not Duke bound...the Butlers of the world can get them..there is no reason we can't at least try for them. I think that AK does not want that type of player. I think that AK is a glorified AAU coach and he wants AAU type players to play his undisciplined style and that is what we have and will continue to have. We had some smart, tough and hard working basketball players come through here under Evans and Barnes...they are out there if our coach were smart enough to look for them...
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:I think that that are probably numerous "smart" basketball players who are not Duke bound...the Butlers of the world can get them..there is no reason we can't at least try for them. I think that AK does not want that type of player. I think that AK is a glorified AAU coach and he wants AAU type players to play his undisciplined style and that is what we have and will continue to have. We had some smart, tough and hard working basketball players come through here under Evans and Barnes...they are out there if our coach were smart enough to look for them...

Agree with all that except we can't get enough of them to make a run in post season. 2 or 3 won't do. 3 will get you to a barnes type once in a career sweet 16 appearance if we get a good bracket. Butler can get the Midwest smart white guy that can compete and mature in ha because the AAU guys aren't there. The elite 8 will be from elite smart player teams and superior athletic teams. Combinations rarely make it. In the deep south and large cities Athletic types develop before the others so the others think they can't compete and turn the program over to the athletes who develop a different set of skills and style of play. I know I'm flirting with profiling but trying to give an honest opinion.