Hudspeth and flight tracker per Hugh

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

AtlantaRebels
2nd String
2nd String

I was more referring to proven head coaches... Yes I'm sure a few coordinators would like to have their first head coaching job anywhere in D 1
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

Mullen is doing and awesome sales job in Starkville. Only one game on their schedule matters. They have a clock and a locker room full of pictures to prove it. As long as they win it everything is cool. The fans are happy and the boosters are happy. No pressure to improve. They regressed to 6-6 after lofty preseason expectations of competing for the West title yet all is well. Looks to me like their snake oil salesman has done a better sales job than ours did.
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an
intolerable one." - Thomas Paine
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

On the C/L MSU fans are already laughing and dogging us for looking to hire one of their former "go fers", I mean position coaches, from Mullen's staff (Hudspeth)

That would be embarrassing.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebelliousb wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:
AtlantaRebels wrote:I think he won a game or two... Looks to me everyone thinks ole miss is the Mecca of the sec when it is actually just a Mississippi college town. Unless you have family ties, alum, or Archie caught you with someones wife your not likely to want to come here. Only reason others would want to come here other than previously listed is $$$ or the random chance that some old proven NFL or college legend lives near by and feels bad for us and wants
One last challenge.

We should probably do what south Carolina did and get something of great value (masters membership) and offer it to a big name coach. Any ideas?
I think that might be overstating it a bit....I mean Ole Miss and Oxford are beautiful and offer much to families. Even MSU got an OC from a big time program. Have you ever been to Starkville? 8O

So you'd be happy with a BIG time OC as long as he beats 1 SEC W team each year? Do you think MSU hit a d*** home run with their HUGE splash? Thats what matters? Where he comes from? Might as well see where he is on Rebel Bear, too. important stuff
No I am only talking about the chatter that none of those types are even interested in Ole Miss. And just to clarify as a big time OC Mullen, Smart, Sumlin etc. did a lot better than beating 1 SEC West team. You never know what anybody you hire will wind up doing as a head coach....any coordinator is a gamble, but IMO not nearly as big a gamble as Sunbelt HC's with less than a year's HC experience and lackluster at best results as assistants or coordinators at larger programs. Hudspeth was WR coach for average at best MSU teams. Of all the folks we have talked about Hudspeth and Freeze would be the biggest gambles and IMO the biggest "thuds" with recruits and fans.
Last edited by Rebchuck18 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:On the C/L MSU fans are already laughing and dogging us for looking to hire one of their former "go fers", I mean position coaches, from Mullen's staff (Hudspeth)

Yep that's what matters.
MSU should be thankful they did play ULL this year.

If we hired Dungy , they would laugh at us for hiring a baby sitter to teach our future HC.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebelliousb wrote: So you'd be happy with a BIG time OC as long as he beats 1 SEC W team each year? Do you think MSU hit a d*** home run with their HUGE splash? Thats what matters? Where he comes from? Might as well see where he is on Rebel Bear, too. important stuff
No, but I also would not be happy with someone whose biggest calling card is being that "Huge Splash's" WR coach.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebelliousb wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:On the C/L MSU fans are already laughing and dogging us for looking to hire one of their former "go fers", I mean position coaches, from Mullen's staff (Hudspeth)

Yep that's what matters.
MSU should be thankful they did play ULL this year.

If we hired Dungy , they would laugh at us for hiring a baby sitter to teach our future HC.
Again, no that is not what matters (you guys know that MSU is about number 99 on my list of things relevant to my life as a Rebel) ...but they will not be the only ones laughing....or worse yet yawning. As far as MSU playing ULL, I am pretty sure they could have beaten ULL (I mean Arkansas State and Western Kentucky did)....us, not so much.

We can spray air freshener on this all we want, but none of us (except maybe Hagar who has been pretty consistent) can probably truthfully say that Hudspeth was anywhere near our top handful of hopefuls.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

You are right about this Chuck: Hudspeth was not at the top of my list. Not in the top 5. Top 6? Maybe , maybe 7th. Leach was tops. RR in the top 3. Dungy my fantasy hire. RR and leach eliminated now HUD is in my top 4. Sumlin has said no. Now he's in my top 3, and I left a blank spot for a surprise candidate that called us.

But who thinks Archie isn't having the same problems I'm running into here? You work your way down the list until you get to someone you fell ok with who will say yes. That's really all he can do (or anyone else).
BovinaREB
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

We just need someone who can beat state right now. That dan mullen has talked more crap about us and has backed it up for three years in a row now. Its about as low as it can get for us. The state game for us is the only thing that should matter right now. On top of all that, they are placing a huge emphasis about mississippi being their state. I beg to differ on that, but those good recruits will buy into that. Forget lsu right now, we gotta get those dog fans to take a backseat again. Their fans are just a laughin at us.
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

BovinaREB wrote:We just need someone who can beat state right now. That dan mullen has talked more crap about us and has backed it up for three years in a row now. Its about as low as it can get for us. The state game for us is the only thing that should matter right now. On top of all that, they are placing a huge emphasis about mississippi being their state. I beg to differ on that, but those good recruits will buy into that. Forget lsu right now, we gotta get those dog fans to take a backseat again. Their fans are just a laughin at us.
What do you propose? A clock? Billboards? An even bigger video board at the Vaught? One game on the schedule all that matters? I completely disagree. State fans are obsessed with everything Ole Miss. Do I want to beat them? Yes! But only because it is the next game on the schedule. Period. By your logic you are ok with 1-11 next year as long as the one is M$U. Sorry, can't agree with you there.
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an
intolerable one." - Thomas Paine
theghostofcolonelreb
Scout Team
Scout Team

I'll go on record as saying I'm okay with 11-1 every year from now on, even if it means losing to State year-in, year-out. However, it's a sticky situation for any new coach. Our state can't support 3 "competitive" BCS football programs year after year. That has been historically proven. However, Mullen has based his whole HC career on 1 thing and he's winning at that 1 thing. Regardless, of who we get they're gonna have a hard, fine line to walk in how to deal with the MSU thing. I don't believe replicating their shenanigans is the Ole Miss way, but the new head coach has to go into living rooms and convince young kids that Oxford is just as an exciting place to be. Short of cash, cars, and other illegalities, I don't have the answer how to do that but, then again, I'm not being considered for the open HC position. Let's all just get on board behind whomever is hired and hope he (or she) [WAOM, and we are politically correct :roll:] and their staff has these answers!
The only two things in life that make it worth livin'...
Are guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I've said all along that i wanted Leach...or....Dungy with a young guy as coach in waiting.
BUT, if anyone is really worried about what STANK people are thinking.......you need your butt whipped and sent back to the minors!! Who cares?!?!?
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Couldn't care less about MSU and believe their current coaching staff will not succeed on a broad scale... and accordingly don't want one of the recent position coaches from that staff as our head coach.
theghostofcolonelreb
Scout Team
Scout Team

Rebchuck18 wrote:Couldn't care less about MSU and accordingly don't want one of their recent position coaches as our head coach.
Not saying I want Hudspeth at all..... but if we could know, for sure, that he or Fedora were the right guy to turn our program around and attain the goals we want for our football program, then why not? Paul Brown worked out pretty well for the Bengals..... 2 Super Bowl appearances, etc.

If you really care not a thing in the world for what USM or State fans think, then what would be the problem with either of these guys? It's not like you're hiring an alum of either school. They have no personal investment in either university, like we do with Ole Miss. They're just football coaches passing through town in a very, very transient occupation.

Once again, I'm not for either of them personally.
The only two things in life that make it worth livin'...
Are guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

theghostofcolonelreb wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:Couldn't care less about MSU and accordingly don't want one of their recent position coaches as our head coach.
Not saying I want Hudspeth at all..... but if we could know, for sure, that he or Fedora were the right guy to turn our program around and attain the goals we want for our football program, then why not? Paul Brown worked out pretty well for the Bengals..... 2 Super Bowl appearances, etc.

If you really care not a thing in the world for what USM or State fans think, then what would be the problem with either of these guys? It's not like you're hiring an alum of either school. They have no personal investment in either university, like we do with Ole Miss. They're just football coaches passing through town in a very, very transient occupation.

Once again, I'm not for either of them personally.
You are all missing what I am saying. I don't care what bulldogs think. I do care what prospective players think and what ticket buyers think. Don't think Hudspeth moves the needle for either. But most importantly I do not see his experience as a position coach for MSU or as OC for an 0-10 Navy team that averaged 18 points against the likes of rice Tulane and Toledo or his 12 games as HC for ULL as indicators that he can succeed in the SEC west. Maybe I am stupid but aside from his credentials as a good ole boy from Mississippi I just don't get the fascination with this Guy.