Fall Ball Notes

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Awesome find!

Some thoughts I had while reading:

Bittle needs to stay in the closer role; though I'd like to see it be a reliever/closer role (relieve the starter about the 7th and finish it up). Basically what he did several times last season.

3 lefties in the weekend rotation? Wow! But personally I think the optimal weekend rotation is 2 southpaws and a righty. It's just fact that lefties tend to do a little better on the mound because batters don't face them all that often; however some teams do see outstanding southpaws in practice when they go up against their own guys. That's why I like a solid righty in the rotation and, not only that, in the middle of the rotation (Saturday) if possible so the team can't get used to seeing one or the other all weekend long. But I still think having 3 lefties in the rotation is better than 2 righties and a lefty or 3 righties.

Baker was not all there last season for sure in the Sunday spot. I was wishing he'd come around this Summer and Fall, but doesn't look like it. Too bad. He's a good pitcher. He might make a good reliever.

Smith in the outfield could be interesting, but I'd like to see Hubbard break into the lineup somewhere. I think it's only a matter of time before he starts killing the ball and this is his last season to prove he can be a HR king like he was in JUCO.

If the Snyders aren't ready defensively then let them DH. We saw what happened last year when players who weren't ready defensively were put at SS. Sure don't need that at 1st!

Speaking of SS, it will be so GREAT to have Button back at SS.

Great to have Basham behind the plate again this year. A new catcher always scares me. IMHO (and this may just be me) I think catcher is the most important position defensively. Bianco calls the pitches so the position in less involved, but they have to be aware of EVERYTHING going on and have a strong throw. They also have to be wise and know when to hold it and let the runner have the stolen base rather than make an unadvised throw that ends up in the outfield.

I love football season, but this has be all fired up for some baseball!
GO REBELS!!!
Heath
All American
All American

oxfordrebel wrote:Awesome find!

Some thoughts I had while reading:

Bittle needs to stay in the closer role; though I'd like to see it be a reliever/closer role (relieve the starter about the 7th and finish it up). Basically what he did several times last season.

3 lefties in the weekend rotation? Wow! But personally I think the optimal weekend rotation is 2 southpaws and a righty. It's just fact that lefties tend to do a little better on the mound because batters don't face them all that often; however some teams do see outstanding southpaws in practice when they go up against their own guys. That's why I like a solid righty in the rotation and, not only that, in the middle of the rotation (Saturday) if possible so the team can't get used to seeing one or the other all weekend long. But I still think having 3 lefties in the rotation is better than 2 righties and a lefty or 3 righties.

Baker was not all there last season for sure in the Sunday spot. I was wishing he'd come around this Summer and Fall, but doesn't look like it. Too bad. He's a good pitcher. He might make a good reliever.

Smith in the outfield could be interesting, but I'd like to see Hubbard break into the lineup somewhere. I think it's only a matter of time before he starts killing the ball and this is his last season to prove he can be a HR king like he was in JUCO.

If the Snyders aren't ready defensively then let them DH. We saw what happened last year when players who weren't ready defensively were put at SS. Sure don't need that at 1st!

Speaking of SS, it will be so GREAT to have Button back at SS.

Great to have Basham behind the plate again this year. A new catcher always scares me. IMHO (and this may just be me) I think catcher is the most important position defensively. Bianco calls the pitches so the position in less involved, but they have to be aware of EVERYTHING going on and have a strong throw. They also have to be wise and know when to hold it and let the runner have the stolen base rather than make an unadvised throw that ends up in the outfield.

I love football season, but this has be all fired up for some baseball!
I guess Matt's surgery went well, if he had surgery. The thing that worries me about having him in the outfield is that he could injure his arm again. Because you know as well as I do, they play on some cold nights and i was there when he injured his arm last year (first game of the season).

What about Jeremy Travis. I thought he did a pretty good job last year filling in for henry. I was actually upset when Henry began starting again...but then Jordan started hitting and i felt better! :lol: i just figured he would take over the last outfield spot.

And what about Cullan Kight on first if Smith goes to the outfield? He was a stud himself. And, IMO, if Miller doesn't begin hitting the ball better than he did last year, put Ferguson at 2nd.

Oh yeah, its still just football season isn't it! Guess they still have time to battle it out. I WAS JUST GETTING A LITTLE PUMPED UP. :lol:
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

I've never seen an injury like Smith's was last season in that first game. I just knew his season was over for sure, but then two games later and there he is. How he ever came back and did as well at the plate after that is beyond me.

We need Henry. I still think he is a key for this team. When he's hitting and fielding like he did his Fr. year, he makes a huge difference. I got nothing against Travis cause he's a great player in himself, and I may be completely wrong, but I still think Henry is a key and we need him to produce like we know he can.

We also need to turn MANY more DPs. If Miller can't do it, then find someone who can. But I think having Button back will help with that some.

As far as Kight goes...I'm not sure. He holds potential and is so clutch off the bench. Can he handle everyday starts for weeks straight? Probably, but he just hasn't done it yet.
GO REBELS!!!