When will you see these guys in the bigs?

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

From the CL/ blog

Eight Ole Miss baseball players were taken in the MLB draft over the past two days. Here's a short synopsis on each player's future...

Lance Lynn, St. Louis Cardinals: This is a good spot for a midwest guy like Lynn. He projects as a middle of the rotation guy with good stuff and great demeanor. He carries himself well on and off the field. Should his pitches develop a little more he could be a regular big leaguer by 2010. I'm thinking a slightly better version of Jeff Suppan...

Cody Satterwhite, Detroit Tigers: Cody had problems for most of this season. That's not a question. But there's not many guys in the universe who have a 98 mph fastball like this guy. Sometimes a change does people good and the Tigers are obviously banking on that fact. Detroit does have a good history of developing flamethrowers

Scott Bittle, New York Yankees: An intriguing pick at this spot. Scott has "the pitch" that few others have. Will he be a closer?..............Personally, I think he projects as a top-notch set-up man.

Cody Overbeck, Philadelphia Phillies: Cody can hit the baseball, but he needs to find a positon. Is he a big-league 3B? I'm not so sure. I've heard some speculation about second base, and that's intriguing.............

Brett Basham, Chicago White Sox:..............He projects as a backup catcher in the bigs who works well with a pitching staff.............

Michael Guerrero, Washington Nationals: This is the one guy who I think might return to Oxford for next season...............

Logan Power, San Diego Padres: He was taken in the 25th round,........ Power could be a fourth outfielder at the MLB level. .....

Justin Cryer, Toronto Blue Jays: Cryer throws hard enough and has the right attitude, he just needs to develop a pitch or two to make it to the bigs...........

Full story:

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs. ... ledger.com

Thought it was a interesting take, but not sure if I agree or not, how about you? Like to hear your thoughts.
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

Personally, Bittle and Guerrero seem like the best prospect to me. Followed by Lance.

No offense to Cody but I think his lack of range keeps him out of the bigs for awhile.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

It's really hard to see many of these guys staying with their current club very long. If they ever do make it to the Bigs then I think most will be with another club.

Meanwhile, I like the other thoughts. Overbeck at 2nd? I REALLY like that thought. I bet he could do great there. I think Basham is really underrated as a defensive player, but with the struggles at the plate he's not going to get too much shot to show off BEHIND the plate I'm afraid.

Bittle is a different case all together. Honestly I was surprised at where he was drafted because I thought it was both too low and too high. Too low in that he was one of, if not the best closer in the nation this past year. Too high in that his cutter is very unconventional. It works, but unless he can somehow continue to develop it and keep it out of the dirt, not many teams are going to use it. It tends to border on wild. Make it effective, but also makes the catcher work so much more to keep it from getting by him. Take away his cutter and you have a fastball and change-up left. His fastball is not very effective without the cutter.

Guerrero and Power need to come back. Couldn't do anything but help their stock...unless of course they got hurt.

Cryer is not ready, IMO. Still walks way too many batters and those pop-ups he can get hitters to hit into in college could very well turn into homers in the Bigs. Needs some development before making the move, but that's just my opinion.
GO REBELS!!!