Next week's starter is....

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

After Sunday's carnage that was UM's 19-6 loss to Alabama in baseball, Rebels coach Mike Bianco made this announcement: Scott Bittle will start next weekend on Sunday against LSU. It will be his first start since 2007. Bittle has been the team's star reliever over the past year and a half, but Bianco said he needs somebody to get outs on Sunday and Bittle is his best bet. Here's what Bianco said:

"We're going to start Scott Bittle next Sunday. We think he's our next best guy to do it. We've tried a couple of guys and we need somebody to give us some zeroes and we think he's the best guy ... We said 'We need you. We need you to start.' One thing that we talked about is he hasn't thrown a lot of pitches. What about that? How deep can he go? But it doesn't matter. In a game like today and even last Sunday, yes you want the starter to be able to throw 100 pitches this late in the season and be able to get past the fifth inning. I don't know if he can do that. But certainly, he can pitch several innings and gives us a chance ... We need to get off to a good start and Scott has proven before that he's more than an inning or two guy. He's proven that several times."
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Scotty hasn't exactly burned up the K's so far this year nor has he seemed as dominant, but maybe by putting our confidence in him to be a starter, he gets going and becomes a weekend ace... Maybe.

I like the decision. MB is using a guy who can be the most dominant pitcher on the staff as a Sunday guy who can lock up a sweep. Bittle CAN be this guy, lets hope he IS this guy.

Get 'em Bittler.
L. S. WHO?
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

The way I see it.....might as well see what he can do on Sunday.
Heath
All American
All American

ThunderReb wrote:The way I see it.....might as well see what he can do on Sunday.
Well, I think Bittle can be the man when he is in the zone. If it were up to me (and probably a good thing it isn't), I would give Buk one more chance, then keep him as a weekday starter if it doesn't work. I just think he is better than what he showed on Sunday. I mean, Ark. State (I think that is who he pitched against this past week) can't be that bad, and Buk dominated them. So, I think the Bama game was a fluke.

So, I guess he will keep Morgan as the closer? Anyone know the plan? :?
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

To me, this is exactly what Bittle needs to get himself going. I think/hope that this is a good move on the part of Bianco.
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

I'm not so big on starting Bittle, but he's probably the best option at this point. But at the same time he's struggled a bit in the closer role so maybe this really IS what he needs to get going. I think a lock-up closer is one of the most crucial pieces in a CWS caliber team, but Bittle hasn't been that this season.

I can go either way on it. If I'm coach (and I'm glad I'm not...) then I think I make Sunday's starter TBD. If we get to Sunday and we're looking to SWEEP LSU then I'd start Buk and give him another shot. If we're looking at a rubber match situation then I'd start Bittle. If we're looking at just salvaging a game, I'd start...praying. LOL But start Buk or start Bittle, either way I'd have the other one in the pen ready to go at a moment's notice. Give up two runs (but still ahead) or get down by 1 run and I'm making the call.

I'm so glad I don't have to make these decisions, but it's fun to kinda think about it.
GO REBELS!!!