Rebels at Memphis

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Well, here we go again. Top of the 9th, three outs left for the Rebels down 6-5 to the Memphis Tigers. Can lightning strike two nights in a row? We can only hope.
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Tying run at 2nd, 2 down in the top of the 9th. Kyle Henson must get a hit to (hopefully) tie this game...

Fouled back, strike 1...
Ball one, 1-1...
Fouled back, strike 2, Memphis one out away, 1-2 count...
Ball two, 2-2...
Ball three, full count...
Foul ball, just missed an extra base hit...
Popped-up...dropping fast in shallow outfield.....Base hit!!!! Tie game!!!! 6-6!
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Morgan gets the Tigers 3 up, 3 down in the 9th, so we get bonus baseball. Need some runs and let Morgan shut it down and get this win.
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

With 2 outs in the 10th, Henry gets an RBI single to give the Rebels a 7-6 lead!

We head to the bottom of the 10th...can Morgan finish it up?
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Morgan has struck out 4 of the 5 he's faced thus far and is an out away from securing the win.

STRIKE OUT and the REBELS WIN!!!

Final:

Rebels 7
Tigers 6
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

The Rebels remain unbeaten in Autozone Park while the Memphis Tigers fall to 0-9 in mid-week action this season and their 12th consecutive loss to the Rebels (need to go back and verify that...)

In any event the Rebels wrap up 6 games in a 6 day stretch going 4-2 in that stretch, so not too shabby. Unfortunately the 2 losses were conference losses. Oh well. The guys will take tomorrow off before taking on the Bat Cats of Kentucky in Oxford this weekend.
GO REBELS!!!
Heath
All American
All American

Good job Jake. now they need a break after 6 straight. Let's get ready for Kentucky, who I think we can sweep, I don't care if they have Calipari or not.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Heath wrote:Good job Jake. now they need a break after 6 straight. Let's get ready for Kentucky, who I think we can sweep, I don't care if they have Calipari or not.
I agree. UK is by far not the worst in the conference (a distinction held by Tennessee with State fighting for that last place spot :twisted: ), but they're not an LSU, Arkansas, UGA, or something like that either. We have the talent to sweep. A series win 2 games to 1 should be a lock if I were betting on it; but we all know that in the SEC no series is a given. UK can be dangerous if they get the bats going, so the Rebels will have to come to play. But 7K+ at the park for the Friday and Saturday games should help a lot. If Bittle can have another shutdown game on Sunday and Morgan can continue to mow down batters I think we could be looking sweep.

As a side note I like Morgan in the closer role. He dropped the ball Sunday at LSU. Blew the save and took the loss; BUT he's been really dominate otherwise, so he'll do well in that closer role taking over for Bittle.
GO REBELS!!!
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

The kid who cost Memphis the game went to my high school. Thank God for my high school.
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

I went to the game, great night and great atmosphere. The Rebs struggled with putting hits together and Memphis was able to score on some funky infield hits, I mean bloopers just over the pitcher's glove.

Anyway the man of the evening was Kyle Henson. A great at bat in the top of the 9th and the Rebs down to their last strike. Lines a hit into right-center to score Logan Powers from 2nd who completely ran over the Memphis catcher. He was standing on the plate and never moved. Power took him out and almost caused a skirmish. Henson was run into earlier in the game but was not bowled over.

Morgan came in and shut'em down as usual. We definitely need a night off, we looked a little sluggish most of the game.

Final note, if it weren't for Jordan Henry running down 2 shots to the outfield, we would have lost by 2-3 runs. The kid has some wheels.
Nutt calls the formation the Wild Rebel. Which sure beats the heck out of Orgeron's Wild Boys.
----Calkins
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Overall the team struggled in mid-week action, but you expect that somewhat considering that you have backups playing and especially this week with 6 games in 6 days...you just expect it. They got the W and that's all that matters in the end.
GO REBELS!!!
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

oxfordrebel wrote: They got the W and that's all that matters in the end.
Right-o!

We struggled but I like how we came back against both Memphis and JSU to win. W's are all that matter.
Nutt calls the formation the Wild Rebel. Which sure beats the heck out of Orgeron's Wild Boys.
----Calkins