no defense!!!!

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Nor any clue HOW to defend a three point shooter. Nice choke so far.
Last edited by ThunderReb on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
done

I am only getting play by play and boxscore, but it looks like we are just jacking it up as well...

and only made 2 of our last 10 shots! pathetic
done

now 2 out of last 12!
done

yea! we made a layup..come on dadgumit!
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Pi$$ poor, pathetic, chicken $pit performance. I will not waste another moment on ole miss basketball!!!
Something is seriously wrong with this team.
See ya....
Chucky_38
All American
All American

Lets keep things in perspective guys. Ole Miss basketball is traditionally very, very bad. We are 16-5. We only need four more wins to ensure an 8-8 SEC mark and 20 wins overall. Thats an amazing accomplishment for this program. Some of you are expecting far to much from this team. We are not even a mediocore basketball school. Andy Kennedy has done a phenomenal job since arriving and I'm enjoying the heck out of being good for a change.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
done

Chucky_38 wrote: Andy Kennedy has done a phenomenal job since arriving and I'm enjoying the heck out of being good for a change.
Okay since you obviously mean good for a change from Rod Barnes, let's look at some actual numbers;

Twice Barnes' teams started out better than 16-5 (17-4 in 00-01 and 01-02)

Barnes average record after 21 games into the season (which is what you are claiming is "good" this year) during his coaching career was 14-7...AK's average record 21 games into the season is 14-7...

Barnes overall winning % over his 8 years was 58%....AK's overall winning % over his 3 1/2 years which has us so excited is 63%...

Now let's compare their records 3 years and 21 games into each of their careers:

Rod Barnes 83-39 68% winning percentage ( 2 NCAA bids and 1 NIT bids)
AK 77-44 63% winning percentage (0 NCAA bids and 2 NIT bids)..

And after 4 years of coaching Barnes had two seasons with winning conference records....unless we really pick it up this year after four seasons AK will have none..

I just don't see where AK has done a "phenomenal" job.....looks to me like he is starting out slower than Barnes and isn't much better than Barnes entire 8 years including the bad ones...And I don't ever recall Coach Barnes getting into fights outside of bars....

I know the wins dropped in the last few years under Barnes but let's not forget that AK's team last year finished with 8 fewer wins than the previous year and who knows what will happen the rest of this year..

Just stating some facts and saying that I don't see the greatness of AK...feel free to disagree...
Chucky_38
All American
All American

I always liked Barnes, but his teams were painful for me to watch. Painfully boring. I LOVE AK's streetball uptempo style. Its exciting and there is an energy at an Ole Miss basketball game that I never felt under Barnes. Ak's teams are scrappy and never quit. I love that. Also, Barnes left AK with nothing at all. He just now has the team he wants, and they're the best team we've had since Rod's 2000 squad. Lets wait till this year is over before we jump ship on the team that has been ranked for weeks.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Chucky_38 wrote:I always liked Barnes, but his teams were painful for me to watch. Painfully boring. I LOVE AK's streetball uptempo style. Its exciting and there is an energy at an Ole Miss basketball game that I never felt under Barnes. Ak's teams are scrappy and never quit. I love that. Also, Barnes left AK with nothing at all. He just now has the team he wants, and they're the best team we've had since Rod's 2000 squad. Lets wait till this year is over before we jump ship on the team that has been ranked for weeks.
I'll never jump ship on my Rebs....but I sincerely will not attend another basketball game this year and waste a weekend. Sorry....
wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Agreed Chucky, the Rod squad was about as exciting as a valium.
done

If run and gun undisciplined play is exciting, then you are right Barnes' teams were not that, but I enjoyed watching them much more than AK's teams. And as I said when people were saying Orgeron was at least better than Cut (ha!).... when the new coach surpasses the success of the previous coach, THEN tell me he is better. When AK actually has a winning record in the SEC, leads us to the NCAA tourney (with a 64 team field, not 96), actually wins an NCAA tournament game, and takes us to the Sweet 16...then and only then will he belong in the same conversation as being as successful a coach.

So far I see nothing to indicate he is a better coach, or even as good a coach. Nothing....
wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Chuck, you might get it this season.
Goroth

Rebchuck18 wrote:If run and gun undisciplined play is exciting, then you are right Barnes' teams were not that, but I enjoyed watching them much more than AK's teams. And as I said when people were saying Orgeron was at least better than Cut (ha!).... when the new coach surpasses the success of the previous coach, THEN tell me he is better. When AK actually has a winning record in the SEC, leads us to the NCAA tourney (with a 64 team field, not 96), actually wins an NCAA tournament game, and takes us to the Sweet 16...then and only then will he belong in the same conversation as being as successful a coach.

So far I see nothing to indicate he is a better coach, or even as good a coach. Nothing....
Must not remember what got Barnes much of hes success. Do you not recall Jackson Provine.