Another Mascot Vote??

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

done

bleuwolfe wrote: but the potential is unlimited..
1) unique mascot in SEC (maybe anywhere outside of SJC hockey)
2) what other campus could boast of having a shark tank and back it up?
3) recruits would eat it up
4) provide awesome vids for the 'tron pre game & during game (after every sack - now called shark bites - the tron would have a shot of REBEL tearing into his dinner, lots of blood!), imagine the sound bites from this
5) educational experience for the kids
6) and merch! stuffed sharks (wearing a rebel cap, in OM Tee, Rebel helmet), shark balloons (various types) fin hats, shark tooth chains, necklaces, charms, ear rings, tats. shark logo on polos (beats Ralph's pony hands down), Rebel shark halloween costumes, and of course a new OM Rebel Shark swim wear/beach line
7) Jimmy Buffet to sponsor the launch of Rebel with free LANDSHARK beer in the Grove
lastly, if ESPN gave us a bad time we'd just have to introduce them to REBEL - end of ESPN bobble heads 8)
I could go on, and on, and on.................

I agree with you......YOU ARE MENTAL 8O :lol: 8)
A10Rebel
3rd String
3rd String

bleuwolfe wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:
bleuwolfe wrote:Great White Shark!
PLEASE GOD, NO! 8O
but the potential is unlimited..
4) provide awesome vids for the 'tron pre game & during game (after every sack - now called shark bites - the tron would have a shot of REBEL tearing into his dinner, lots of blood!), imagine the sound bites from this
6) and merch! stuffed sharks (wearing a rebel cap, in OM Tee, Rebel helmet), shark balloons (various types) fin hats, shark tooth chains, necklaces, charms, ear rings, tats. shark logo on polos (beats Ralph's pony hands down), Rebel shark halloween costumes, and of course a new OM Rebel Shark swim wear/beach line
7) Jimmy Buffet to sponsor the launch of Rebel with free LANDSHARK beer in the Grove
lastly, if ESPN gave us a bad time we'd just have to introduce them to REBEL - end of ESPN bobble heads 8)

^^^^^THIS.
"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
-Wayne Dyer
cacreb2000
3rd String
3rd String

bleuwolfe wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:
bleuwolfe wrote:Great White Shark!
PLEASE GOD, NO! 8O
but the potential is unlimited..

I do REALLY like #7 though.
HOTTY TODDY!!!
GO REBELS!!!
done

cacreb2000 wrote:
bleuwolfe wrote: but the potential is unlimited..

I do REALLY like #7 though.
Hell if that happens ParrotReb will stay in the Grove until after kickoff for the first time ever!
colreb74
3rd String
3rd String

Vote "NO" to a "New" Ole Miss Mascot
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

A10Rebel wrote:We should have a mascot....

How about a confederate soldier with a musket and bloodied bayonet? ESPN would have us on the mascot challenge for sure.
Don't forget the Rebel flag by his side.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
------------------

Honestly, how much sense does it really make for a university that's a good 7 hours away from the ocean to have an ocean-dwelling creature as its mascot?
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

we're closer to an ocean than LSU is to India and its been a few years since Troy existed....but of course we could always adopt the Mockingbird, plenty of those in MS and they are quite pretty 8)
done

bleuwolfe wrote:we're closer to an ocean than LSU is to India and its been a few years since Troy existed....but of course we could always adopt the Mockingbird, plenty of those in MS and they are quite pretty 8)

Are you "mocking" the state bird :P

So I guess the band could play the theme from jaws when the team comes on the field and Roy Scheider and Richard Dreyfuss could do the "are you ready" and we could wear those foam shark heads....not too dorky at all 8O

Since we are so worried about image why don't we tout the positives of the state..for instance we have arguably more honored and awarded writers than any other state...so we could call ourselves the Novelists or the Pulitzers... our cheer could be "now we're walking to school... hand in hand black and white....we might not can read...but we d*** sure can write!"....
rktcityrebel
Water Boy
Water Boy

bleuwolfe wrote:we're closer to an ocean than LSU is to India and its been a few years since Troy existed....but of course we could always adopt the Mockingbird, plenty of those in MS and they are quite pretty 8)

Just for informational purposes the LSU "Fighting Bengals" are named after a Confederate company that volunteered at the beginning of the war. Troy is named after the city where it is located.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

How bout a Brahman Bull? You could send that thing thru the other teams tunnel as they come out the door and scare the shiv out of them.

Last edited by bbqit on Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rktcityrebel wrote:

Just for informational purposes the LSU "Fighting Bengals" are named after a Confederate company that volunteered at the beginning of the war. Troy is named after the city where it is located.
didnt know that about La, but the Troy I was referring to was USCal Trojans, not Al.

Rebchuck,
so we could call ourselves the Novelists or the Pulitzers... our cheer could be "now we're walking to school... hand in hand black and white....we might not can read...but we d*** sure can write!"....
I am hurt that you think I would mock the state bird or any other bird - except maybe kiwis - but that cheer would kill 'em. love it! :lol:
Roy Scheider and Richard Dreyfuss could do the "are you ready"
Are they still alive? If so Great idea!
Foam hats? not so much, but than again some strange types enjoy wearing chunks of cheese on their heads..to each their own..Theme to "Jaws" love it, but we'd have to pay some $$$

Look guys, mascot or no mascot is fine with me as long as it is not the "old south". Let's move on, please. If we're going to have a new mascot - then let's go BIG and creative. This is an opportunity to create some free PR - good or horrific is our choice. 8)
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

[quote="rktcityrebel"][quote="bleuwolfe"]we're closer to an ocean than LSU is to India and its been a few years since Troy existed....but of course we could always adopt the Mockingbird, plenty of those in MS and they are quite pretty 8)[/quote]

Just for informational purposes the LSU "Fighting Bengals" are named after a Confederate company that volunteered at the beginning of the war. Troy is named after the city where it is located.[/quote]

This is the story behind the selection of Rebels as Ole Miss' nickname as reported in OleMissSports.com.

Rebels
The name REBELS as Ole Miss' official athletics nickname emerged in 1936. Suggested by Judge Ben Guider of Vicksburg, it was one of five entries submitted to Southern sports writers for final selection from a list totaling more than 200 proposed nicknames. The promotion was a contest sponsored by The Mississippian, student newspaper. Of the 42 newsmen contacted, 21 responded. "Rebels" was the choice of 18. The University Athletic Committee made the name official with the Committee chairman, the late Judge William Hemingway, stating: "If 18 sports writers wish to use ‘Rebels', I shall not rebel, so let it go ‘Ole Miss Rebels.'"

Two years later, the yearbook appeared as "The Rebel Number" with "Colonel Reb" making a new entrance as the publication's leading illustration. The University of Mississippi is the owner of all rights, title and interest in the "Colonel Rebel" indicia.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Memphis Jack wrote:
rktcityrebel wrote:

This is the story behind the selection of Rebels as Ole Miss' nickname as reported in OleMissSports.com.

Rebels
The name REBELS as Ole Miss' official athletics nickname emerged in 1936. Suggested by Judge Ben Guider of Vicksburg, it was one of five entries submitted to Southern sports writers for final selection from a list totaling more than 200 proposed nicknames. The promotion was a contest sponsored by The Mississippian, student newspaper. Of the 42 newsmen contacted, 21 responded. "Rebels" was the choice of 18. The University Athletic Committee made the name official with the Committee chairman, the late Judge William Hemingway, stating: "If 18 sports writers wish to use ‘Rebels', I shall not rebel, so let it go ‘Ole Miss Rebels.'"

Two years later, the yearbook appeared as "The Rebel Number" with "Colonel Reb" making a new entrance as the publication's leading illustration. The University of Mississippi is the owner of all rights, title and interest in the "Colonel Rebel" indicia.
I will personally declare unending war on anyone who tries to do away with "Rebels" or "Ole Miss". That is not at issue here.
done

Dreyfuss is alive...Scheider passed in '08...I apologize to any of his family members visiting our forum...Robert Shaw has been gone for a while now...he would have been the coolest