Our seasons over, were done with ncaa tourney

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

After watching this game against vandy, one can't help to feel sick to their stomach. This is typical ole miss for ya. Come into a season expecting to do well, end the season in a sub par bowl game or the NIT tournament, which should be renamed the olemiss underachiever tournament. Technically we could win out and make the tournament if we added in a few sec tourney wins but with the way were playing that ain't happening. I think andy kennedy's sweating right about now because we have amazing talent but absolutely no team chemistry. We played well tonight against a really good vandy team but ya know what? Ncaa tournament teams win games against conference teams that they must beat. Ncaa tourney teams defend their home court, which we don't. And finally, when on the bubble, ncaa tourney teams win the games they MUST win to get in, and we didn't. This was a must win for our team. We failed. Our rpi ranking was 55 coming into tonight and even if we win against a sub par florida team on saturday (we won't if were playing this bad), our rpi will still fall to about 64 or 65, the last team in. And it will only stay that way until we lose again, which we will because we still have to make trips to alabama (who is tough at home) and to sec west leading arkansas. Hate to say it but rebel basketball needs a overhaul. Say what you will about msu but their team has total fan support and are more dedicated to their basketball team, and thats why their more successful in that sport. This was another disappointing what might have been season for a rebel fan who's sick of it.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

If you are sticking with the Rebs, best get used to this. We will suck or be ok. NEVER, expect a great seaon in any sport cuase you will be disapointed every, single, time. I hoped this team could make 8-8, still got a shot. Thats the best we can ever ask for.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
done

Chucky_38 wrote:If you are sticking with the Rebs, best get used to this. We will suck or be ok. NEVER, expect a great seaon in any sport cuase you will be disapointed every, single, time. I hoped this team could make 8-8, still got a shot. Thats the best we can ever ask for.
What a load of crap! .500 the best we can ever ask for? Both previous coaches did better than that....We have had two very successful seasons back to back in football, not perfect but great...we weren't disappointed when we went to the Sweet 16 under Barnes...that was a great season as well. This basketball team is an extreme disappointment yes and poorly coached, but you seem to revel in trashing the Rebels more that even our opponents....

I usually just space by your posts without response because I know the crap you will be throwing at the Rebels, but "that's the best we can ever ask for" may be the most ridiculous post I have ever seen on this board! What a pathetic way to approach anything in life, even something as relatively insignificant as sport....I really wonder why you are "sticking with the Rebs" when you think they will always suck in everything....why don't you become a State fan and take that negative garbage to Starkville!
Chucky_38
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:
Chucky_38 wrote:If you are sticking with the Rebs, best get used to this. We will suck or be ok. NEVER, expect a great seaon in any sport cuase you will be disapointed every, single, time. I hoped this team could make 8-8, still got a shot. Thats the best we can ever ask for.
What a load of crap! .500 the best we can ever ask for? Both previous coaches did better than that....We have had two very successful seasons back to back in football, not perfect but great...we weren't disappointed when we went to the Sweet 16 under Barnes...that was a great season as well. This basketball team is an extreme disappointment yes and poorly coached, but you seem to revel in trashing the Rebels more that even our opponents....

I usually just space by your posts without response because I know the crap you will be throwing at the Rebels, but "that's the best we can ever ask for" may be the most ridiculous post I have ever seen on this board! What a pathetic way to approach anything in life, even something as relatively insignificant as sport....I really wonder why you are "sticking with the Rebs" when you think they will always suck in everything....why don't you become a State fan and take that negative garbage to Starkville!

Because its an opinion. It is different than yours. Get over it. Seriously. Attacking me is getting old. You don't even know me. Don't presume to know how I approach life and everything in it just because I have observed and formed an opinion on Ole Miss sports. When the Rebels go to Atlanta, I'll see the bar has been raised and I'll expect more from the football program. Right now, I don't expect anything more than bowl games. When the basketball team goes to the Final Four, I"ll expect better from the program, right now, I just hope for winning seasons and some kind of post season play. When the baseball team gets to Omaha, I'll expect national titles from the program. Right now I just expect to be a consistently good team that can win everything BUT a game that will send them to Omaha.

You were on the right track though. Skim over my posts, don't read them and don't respond to them if you have such a hard time with my stance. I give alot of money to Ole Miss. I love the place and I'll always support it. I don't like to have my loyalty questioned. I point out observations I have made and opinions I have formed based on those observations. Sorry you don't like them. You attacked me in August when I said we were looking at a 7-5 season this year. We went 8-4. I was off by one game.

How bout this, since you are so overly optimistic and you believe that one of the smallest programs in the SEC can seriously achieve things that schools as rich as Bama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Tennesee and Auburn can then just ignore me all together. I promise to do the same to your "Snead costs us the national title" posts and rants about inept qb's when we are discussing basketball. You tell me to jump ship...why don't you? You want a team with championship potential, it is not Ole Miss. Its Texas. Right there in your backyard. Get on their wagon.

Sucks to have a member of the Ole Miss family tell you to leave when all you did was disagree.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

I have to agree on this one, you can't really tell him to take the negative comments to state because msu actually has total fan support of their basketball team, we don't. The past 3 home games we have averaged only 6000 fans, thats about 5000 less then full capacity including standing room only. Its no wonder these guys aren't motivated at home, the seats are only half full. I mean gah we had a top 20 ranked team come to town a few days ago and only half capacity to see it! We have a broken basketball program right now and to fix it we need total support from the staff to the fans and we don't have that right now. Fan support has been a issue all season long with this team from day one. You can count our sell out games on one hand! That is ridiculous. I remember back in the early 2000's when you had to break your neck to even get a ticket to a home game and now the school has had to resort to practically giving away tickets and even then we only get half the arena filled! If your sick of this team being bad then how bout you prove it and show up to support them, otherwise get used to this.
done

jrebel87 wrote:I have to agree on this one, you can't really tell him to take the negative comments to state because msu actually has total fan support of their basketball team, we don't. The past 3 home games we have averaged only 6000 fans, thats about 5000 less then full capacity including standing room only. Its no wonder these guys aren't motivated at home, the seats are only half full. I mean gah we had a top 20 ranked team come to town a few days ago and only half capacity to see it! We have a broken basketball program right now and to fix it we need total support from the staff to the fans and we don't have that right now. Fan support has been a issue all season long with this team from day one. You can count our sell out games on one hand! That is ridiculous. I remember back in the early 2000's when you had to break your neck to even get a ticket to a home game and now the school has had to resort to practically giving away tickets and even then we only get half the arena filled! If your sick of this team being bad then how bout you prove it and show up to support them, otherwise get used to this.

I agree with the pessimism with regard to THIS basketball team, but the notion that we should accept sucking because we are Ole Miss and therefore we will suck in everything is asinine...8-8 is the best we should expect? No way...both previous coaches beat that...and our football team is obviously on the way to great things...our baseball team has become a sure regional participant each year and likely Super Regional participant most years...

This basketball program is in trouble because of the type of talent we recruited and the type of coach we hired (much like during the Orgeron period)...not because "we are Ole Miss", which is Chicken Little's contention whenever we lose anything...we replace the coach and recruit some basketball players we have a good chance to improve and become a contender...look how quickly we have turned football around with a change of personnel (and I think that we will grow leaps and bounds now that we have changed personnel at QB)......but to just say that losing is expected and therefore acceptable because we are Ole Miss is offensive and people and programs that carry that attitude will never expect greatness and therefore will never strive for greatness and consequently will never achieve greatness.

I think that support and attendance is directly related not only to the way we lose...but to the way we play and how much we can embrace AK as a representative of our University....I can barely stand to watch this team on television...I can only imagine how sickening it would be to watch this unfold in person...and the fact that I am not at all fond of AK as a leader of young men doesn't help the situation. I love Ole Miss football but I was actually embarrassed when that neanderthal Orgeron was representing us. I still supported the team and I still pulled for them, as I do this Ole Miss Basketball team, but I almost had to hold my nose while doing it. On the flip side, with Coach Nutt I am joyous watching the Rebels play (even when Snead was QB), not only because we are winning again, but because I honestly like having Nutt represent our university.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

jrebel87 wrote:I have to agree on this one, you can't really tell him to take the negative comments to state because msu actually has total fan support of their basketball team, we don't. The past 3 home games we have averaged only 6000 fans, thats about 5000 less then full capacity including standing room only. Its no wonder these guys aren't motivated at home, the seats are only half full. I mean gah we had a top 20 ranked team come to town a few days ago and only half capacity to see it! We have a broken basketball program right now and to fix it we need total support from the staff to the fans and we don't have that right now. Fan support has been a issue all season long with this team from day one. You can count our sell out games on one hand! That is ridiculous. I remember back in the early 2000's when you had to break your neck to even get a ticket to a home game and now the school has had to resort to practically giving away tickets and even then we only get half the arena filled! If your sick of this team being bad then how bout you prove it and show up to support them, otherwise get used to this.
Again, wrong. Where do u get your facts? We can't get 11,000 in the Tad Pad. The Tad Pad has been more than half full during conference games this year. U obviously don't go to the games and sit behind a keyboard acting like u know something.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food