Well it's over.

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

The season that is. I must say it was quite a dissapointment but there were some highlights. THe early wins over k-state and Indiania (I now they're awful, but it's the freakin hoosiers), Chris Warren coming back full strength, sweeping the state of Bamer and skull dragging LSU twice, the end of the season run, the NIT run, finally having shot blocking prowesses in Buckner and big Murph, Ak not getting arrested, Cranston graduating.

Then there are the let downs like the dissaperance of Terrico, Polynice and his embattled career, the subpar SEC and home record, attendance at the Tad Pad (Needs to be renovated, the lights suck), not taing care of buisness at home, losing important home games, having the NCAA tournament snatched from at HOME!!!

Overall this season gave me reflux and I cursed WAY too much. However, this is the game of college basketball. You can run the gamut of emotions in 2 hours, you can go from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows and back again. Thats why I love it. I will never forget being down by 20 to BAMER at the half, only to come back and win. I will never forget that Waller kid from Aubarn lighting up the treys at the Tad Pad (Thus the reflux and cursing). Lets not mention the leg humpers debacle (I was at the starkville game). I don't think I have ever wanted a season to be over but know I cant wait till next season at the same time. Here's to the Rebels, thanks for making mondays and saturdays fun after football.
done

For years basketball was my favorite college sport to watch. But as this season ends, my most noticeable feeling is relief. Very painful to watch this team, even when they won. I personally am not anxious at all for next year to start, unless Bogan can make a push to start at point guard. Warren is a great athlete and our leading scorer, but if you just look at his stats in the two losses to MSU and the two losses to TN (arguably the games that kept us out of the dance) you will see that he is IMO not an effective POINT GUARD, in the sense that he is just as reckless as the rest of the team and even though he scores, he does precious little to get them involved in the game or bring any discipline or flow to this crazy AK offense.....

In those four losses, he attempted 40 three pointers and made 14...that's 35% and doesn't sound that bad right...look deeper...in those games his OVERALL shooting % was 27% (16 of 59)..and he had 10 assists to 18 turnovers...

anyway, at least we don't have to see him jacking up 3's without even attempting to distribute the ball for several months. Not picking on Warren, but he is just the personification to me of the weakness of AK style of basketball....loosy goosy at best...
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:For years basketball was my favorite college sport to watch. But as this season ends, my most noticeable feeling is relief. Very painful to watch this team, even when they won. I personally am not anxious at all for next year to start, unless Bogan can make a push to start at point guard. Warren is a great athlete and our leading scorer, but if you just look at his stats in the two losses to MSU and the two losses to TN (arguably the games that kept us out of the dance) you will see that he is IMO not an effective POINT GUARD, in the sense that he is just as reckless as the rest of the team and even though he scores, he does precious little to get them involved in the game or bring any discipline or flow to this crazy AK offense.....

In those four losses, he attempted 40 three pointers and made 14...that's 35% and doesn't sound that bad right...look deeper...in those games his OVERALL shooting % was 27% (16 of 59)..and he had 10 assists to 18 turnovers...

anyway, at least we don't have to see him jacking up 3's without even attempting to distribute the ball for several months. Not picking on Warren, but he is just the personification to me of the weakness of AK style of basketball....loosy goosy at best...
I hope that Kennedy improves, but right now we'd do better to cut his salary by two-thirds and make him a full-time recruiter. The kids could coach themselves and do as well.
done

felicianareb wrote: I hope that Kennedy improves, but right now we'd do better to cut his salary by two-thirds and make him a full-time recruiter. The kids could coach themselves and do as well.
I agree with the last sentence. With regard to the first sentence, while I agree that he is a good recruiter I am not sure he is recruiting the right kind of player. If you look at the teams in the final four they either have disciplined fundamentally sound coaches, or disciplined fundamentally sound players. Even West Virginia with Butler (who Huggins inherited) who really leads and directs his team. I would be willing to bet that once West Virginia is full of Bob Huggins recruits they might not be as successful. I believe that one and doners and teams led by Freshmen phenoms because of early NBA departures will continue to result in teams with fundamentally sound juniors and seniors becoming the most successful post season teams at the expense of more talented "big time" programs (like Kentucky)...we unfortunately may be in the worst of both worlds...recruiting non-fundamentally sound players who are good athletes but not as good as the Kentucky's. I think we would be better served to start over with a Butler type approach, and a Butler type coach. I really think that kind of team can could exploit some of the weaknesses of SEC programs and maybe not win the conference, but get to the dance and then use those strengths (solid guard play, fundamental play, and free throws) to do well. I hope I am wrong but I can't see AK doing much better than a good run in the NIT or maybe eeking into the tourney only to go home the first weekend.

Time will tell.
Last edited by done on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------

felicianareb wrote:
I hope that Kennedy improves, but right now we'd do better to cut his salary by two-thirds and make him a full-time recruiter. The kids could coach themselves and do as well.
You ain't kidding...watching the Dayton game made me wonder if AK's coaching the entire game consisted of telling the team "Y'all go out there and win, OK?".