Andy Kennedy has...

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Chucky_38
All American
All American

Signed a contract extension through 2014. So he is our guy for some time. I like the move, but it tells me that our administration is not that concerned with being any better than we are now. I'm not either because its just basketball, but what do you guys think?
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

I don't mind the extension, b/c it gets him back up to the 4 years allowed under MS law and takes away doubt from recruits minds that he may not be there for the foreseeable future (we do this in every sport after every season though we didn't do it last year for AK b/c of the Cincy incident). Now he supposedly also got a substantial raise, which I do not believe was deserved.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
Goroth

Well its going to be hard for him to miss the Tourny from now on. So at least we have that every year. Just need to make a run at it.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Goroth wrote:Well its going to be hard for him to miss the Tourny from now on. So at least we have that every year. Just need to make a run at it.
I have been wondering about this since the talk of expansion began: What will be the new measuring stick? Will it be getting the first weekend bye, b/c just making a field of 96 to me is not that much of an accomplishment.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
done

There is no measuring stick anymore....college basketball has fallen into the realm of mediocrity and is fast approaching the realm of irrelevance....
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:There is no measuring stick anymore....college basketball has fallen into the realm of mediocrity and is fast approaching the realm of irrelevance....

True but you still get the sweet 16 etc. At some point the tournament is worthwhile.

And maybe now you finally get the best 65 teams included.
done

rebelliousb wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:There is no measuring stick anymore....college basketball has fallen into the realm of mediocrity and is fast approaching the realm of irrelevance....

True but you still get the sweet 16 etc. At some point the tournament is worthwhile.

And maybe now you finally get the best 65 teams included.

Agreed, but the problem is that you have a tournament looking for the best 65 teams to begin with....the tournament should be a tournament for champions, not also rans....if you can't win your conference (or even your division) IMO you have no business having any shot at a national championship.

It is why I prefer the BCS (warts and all) to any playoff system in sports (including the NFL, MLB, MBA and College basketball)...while you may have a worthy contender left out of the championship game you will never have a team that finished with the fifth best record in their conference even getting a sniff of a national championship game...with 96 teams included (to some extent even with 65) college basketball regular seasons have become almost as irrelevant as NHL regular seasons.

College football is the the only one left that still demands absolute excellence of its champion. All the rest have been watered down and like too much of society not only condone, but promote and celebrate, mediocrity for the sake of inclusion (and more money)....

Again that is just my opinion...and I might be wrong....but in this case I doubt it.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Well, when that 5th place teams wins it all, and it will happen...how do you argue against their championship or especially their selection? Why should OM host a regional and get a shot at Omaha if they don't win the SEC outright? And how in he'll do we send 2 from the SEC when one plces 4 or 5 in the conference?

Just playing devil's advocate