Current rebs can learn lesson from 2001 sweet 16 team

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

I just got done watching the 2001 sweet 16 game against Arizona and a few things jumped out at me. First of all, that rebel team had more heart then any rebel team i've ever seen. Statistically they should have been run off the court. They were facing a team who had 4 NBA players on it. Check out some of Arizonas players: Gilbert arenas, Luke Walton, Richard Jefferson, and Al Woods. Compare that to our rebel team, who didn't have one player go on to START in the NBA, and our team had loads of heart. We went up 18-6 in the first half before Arenas led Arizona back. When the game was over, Arizona coach Lute Olsen said our team had more hustle and heart then he had seen the whole year. If AK can get his players to play like that 2001 team, we will make the ncaat every year.
Goroth

I am always crushed when I think of 98. That was the year Ole Miss could of made a run to the elite 8. Then who knows from there. All the cards fell into place in that backet for them. Just sad to think about.

The '01 team was something great too. Was even a great game against an amazing Arizona team. They fought the whole way. Fighting out of every hole they got themselves into. Just wasn't enough they could do to stop them and catch up.

I am not sure Ole Miss will ever have a team. Like those two. But if he can start landing the right recruites. Who knows what's out there. Maybe Ole Miss can have a great season in future. But it has to get better in the SEC sooner than later. For any chance of anything to happen. Twenty wins are nice. But you can only see it so much. Before you want to just hang it all up.